News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Videos from the DDR Tag der Republik Parade

I've uploaded a few video clips of the Tag der Republik Parade (Day of the Republic) Parade that I attended on October 7, 1988. It took place on Karl Marx Allee in East Berlin.

I attended this parade while a member of the US Army Berlin Brigade along with a friend who was stationed at the time with the Army in West Germany. I took video and he used my camera to take still images. We were probably about 500 meters from the reviewing stand near the start of the parade for the armored vehicles.

It's not the best quality video after 20 years on a VHS tape. But I've been told that this video footage is somewhat rare since 99% of the video you see from these parades was taken by official DDR sources.

I've done two clips on the Volksmarine as this is my current collecting focus.

First up the Volksmarine as they pass us:

And a clip of the Volksmarine as they have rounded the turn to march past the reviewing stand. You can see that they are slightly out of step:

Lastly members of the Volksarmee make the turn to the reviewing stand:

Edited by ehrentitle