News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Tim,

From what I have managed to decipher Weber makes no other mention to that shield. Peter might be able to add as he has the English version. As for the eyes...not sure about yours but I am 52 and wear glasses...everything is looked at under a magnifying glass.

Phil:cool:

• Replies 98
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks guys :cheers:

Brief history Karl .W.

1-Early type -------With the lonng pins and the plate covered with bronz or brass

2- Savings at all-A.H. ----------and the plate is with black finish

posts -52 and 54

Edited by tiff

In post #65, you show an unknown maker and I believe it to be the same type of shield I posted a PIC of in post #68. As far as I know, this is the only one with the larger holes in the backplate. The one you posted looks a bit different in the head, but again, it may be the PIC. Can you post a larger shot of this one as well? This is one that I am after and recently missed a rather nice one with the backing cloth and paper still on it. :banger:

Tim the shield post 65

Webers book 1.24 p92-95

I know my scanner is bad ,old mark HP

if you give me your email I'll send the best photos of the shield

This is a very interesting shield, I am looking for information on this type

if you know what is on it, say-very interesting,can be photo or groups with him

Regards Andrei

Hi Andrei!

You have some really nice and interesting shields there. :cheers: The attachment pin setups on a couple of these are making me rethink my opinions in regards to setting any timelines on manufacture. Thank you for posting these examples! :beer:

Tim

This ones for Peter.

Pete, I found this in my archive PICs that I saved on one of my CDs. It's an old PIC, but the same type shield you showed earlier in this thread (posts 66/67). Note some of the details are much better on this one and might serve to make a better determination on the one you show. Hope it helps!

Tim

Edited by Tim B

Hi Tim....thanks for posting those comparisons but what I don't understand and find a bit strange is how these shields are identical (allowing for the severe die wear) in every way apart from the date numerals.

Peter

Edited by Peter Baillie

Hi Peter,

Yes, I see that and IMO means one of two things, either the die has become so worn and "tired" that the defects are starting to become painfully obvious, or it's a copy of the original.

Now, with that said, we have to ask a couple of questions.

How many of these (specific maker) type shields do we see? I personally do not see that many of this style when compared to say Deumer, JFS, Orth, or the more common "unknown" makers. So, if the die became so worn through use, then why don't we see more of this "what should be" common shield?

Second, and you know you can't always go off of a computer screen but need to hold the item in hand, but the details on the one you show appear weaker and softer than the one I compared it to. Yes, the general outline of the Krim coastline is identical, but looking at the edges, your piece seems less defined. So, again, is this a weak stamp from a worn out die, or a decent attempt to copy this shield? Play devil's advocate and say if it was a copy, then why don't we see more of them? I can't say, perhaps the quality of the first run didn't prove productive and it was scrapped.

Additionally, going off the PIC, your piece appears to made from brass sheet. Correct me here but, these were either zinc or steel sheet and bronze coated for a final finish. I don't think they were ever actually stamped in brass, were they?

Finally, the numbers are off and not just the "2". I personally think even a beat up shield would not have the numbers appearing this distorted. Again, I don't have it in hand, but I would hesitate owning it personally.

I meant to add that the background "sea area" appears pebbled on the one I show, where yours is rather plain looking.

All the Best my friend! :beer:

Tim

Edited by Tim B

Hey Peter,

Still checking and also found one shown in Gordon Williamson's "Torpedo Los"; page 265 (Michel Legrand's collection). Fine example on KM cloth and an exact match to the one I show. Good PIC and may help you better than the online PIC.

You might try to ask Michel as well.

Tim :cheers:

the other type using a different mount,

very rare, it is not used on any shield.

No more shields with the use of such fastening

Friends, I find it hard to write in English,hope for understanding:cheers:

with its production using other technologies,and required a different kind of stamp that is different from other stamps on their technology

Maybe the stamp is broken and these boards were made very small, so they do not exist on the market ,I do not know exactly

This is only my opinion

Hi Andrei!

You have some really nice and interesting shields there. :cheers: The attachment pin setups on a couple of these are making me rethink my opinions in regards to setting any timelines on manufacture. Thank you for posting these examples! :beer:

Tim

Hi Tim

I agree with you,this is just fixing, but they help to learn more about the boards,and give more precise information about the manufacturer:cheers: