News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The medal bar of GFM Walter Model

When the doors opened to the public last Friday at the show in Gunzenhausen I did a fast walk through to look for medal bars or ribbon bars that I could research. This bar with the following awards caught my eye:

1914 EK2

HOH3X

BMV4X

MMV2

FEK

WHDA25

WHDA12

ÖM3X

After doing my initial research I was at the door the first thing Saturday morning and went in and bought the bar. My initial research, plus confirmation from 2 forum members who I will let chime in on this, confirmed the bar to GFM Walter Model! One of the keys to the ID was the BMV4X being LT grade so I knew the bar belong to someone in the Reichwehr because without the time in the Reichwehr that officer would not have had enough time for the 25 year long service which was instituded in 1938. The only person in the Reichwehr, army or navy, who had the above combination is GFM Model who earned the RKEK with Diamonds in WWII. So take a look at the bar and I will present more evidence for the ID.

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS POST UNTIL I HAVE FINISHED AND SAID "OK TO REPLY" Thanks

I was luckly enough to acquire a book about Model that was printed in 1991 by his son. I acquired the book from a fellow forum member and I want to thank him very much. The books helps bring the bar to life.

The books is over 400 pages with documents of Model's career and over 20 pictures of Model. The best picture in the book shows Model circe 1926 with his medal bar. The picture was originally flip felt to right and I have corrected it. The bar clearly shows his WWI awards. It is an exist match minus the FEK and 2 long service.

I also purchased a new book at the show which is just on Feldmarshall's and Grossadmirales. Below is a really good color pic of Model with his RKEK with oakleaves and swords.The pictures is dated May 1944 so it is before he received the diamonds to the RK. Any comments are welcomed.

OK TO REPLY

Guest Rick Research

If ever there was an example of WHY an Imperial German/Third Reich collector MUST have

Rank Lista and Award Rolls

this is it. :catjava:

We have seen other examples here at GMIC of "common" awards which are verifiably unique in combination but none will ever be more spectacular than this. :jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping:

Those of you who STILL are unable to see the advantages of tedious study and reference books...

would have been among the thousands of others who have walked by this bar and seen no more than a chipped BMV4X, a damp-stained MMV2, and a Godet bar with red rather than gray backing.

We saw all those things AND

who wore it. :whistle:

Guest Darrell

Those of you who STILL are unable to see the advantages of tedious study and reference books...

would have been among the thousands of others who have walked by this bar and seen no more than a chipped BMV4X, a damp-stained MMV2, and a Godet bar with red rather than gray backing.

We saw all those things AND

who wore it. :whistle:

Paul, I assume from what Rick has said that the bar was NOT sold as advertised as belonging to Model?

Guest Darrell

Darrel, That is correct. The dealer was selling without an ID.

Well ... that in itself is almost positive proof in the pudding.

You have to wonder sometimes when bars are "advertised" as belonging to somebody of importance is actually the case. Just like the collector can use the rolls to ID bars, the fakers as such to makeup "correct" groups.

Yes, incredible.

this method of identifying medalbars and to give them a name is incredible.

Your conclusion that this bar once belonged to Model must include the proof that:

-no other officer of army, airforce or navy could have had a bar with the same combination (please dont insist that no naval officer had a red backing on the bar)

-this bar is a non altered version from Model between 1936 and 1939 without any 3rd Reich-award, no occupation-medals, no clasp 1939 on the EK.

May be its from Model, may be from an other officer.

But a nice bar at all.

Regards

Markus

Nice bar Paul! ;):cheers:

It was nice to see it in flesh and personally... The MVO4x looks like a Jakob Leser with center Gold medallion (L)... Do you have the awards date, like for instance for the MVO4x? It would be nice to see if it was an early WWI awarded MVO... ;-)

Now what you need is to find the photograph of Model wearing this bar... that might be a bit tougher! Good luck! ;)

Ciao,

Claudio

Yes, incredible.

this method of identifying medalbars and to give them a name is incredible.

Your conclusion that this bar once belonged to Model must include the proof that:

-no other officer of army, airforce or navy could have had a bar with the same combination (please dont insist that no naval officer had a red backing on the bar)

-this bar is a non altered version from Model between 1936 and 1939 without any 3rd Reich-award, no occupation-medals, no clasp 1939 on the EK.

May be its from Model, may be from an other officer.

But a nice bar at all.

Regards

Markus

The proof is in the Reichwehr, army and navy, ranklists. I have looked through the ranklists and there is no other officer with this combination. Also it was not uncommon for an officer to NOT upgrade his medal bar with the no occupation medals (flower war). In regards to the EK2 clasp, I have seen pictures of Model wearing the clasp on the ribbon in the tunic. Once the war started a General did not have much need to wear a parade medal bar so it was not upgraded with clasps.

Hi Paul,

Yes, I saw it too!!! ;)

Auszeichnungen des GFM Walter Model (see Wikipedia: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Model )

• Eisernes Kreuz (1914) II. Klasse am 20. September 1914
    • Bayerischer Militärverdienstorden IV. Klasse mit Schwertern am 29. März 1915
    • Eisernes Kreuz (1914) I. Klasse am 19. Oktober 1915
    • Ritterkreuz des Königlichen Hausordens von Hohenzollern mit Schwertern am 26. Februar 1917
    • Mecklenburgisches Militärverdienstkreuz II. Klasse am 22. November 1917
    • Österreichisches Militärverdienstkreuz III. Klasse mit der Kriegsdekoration am 22. November 1917
    • Türkischer Eiserner Halbmond am 22. November 1917
    • Verwundetenabzeichen (1918) in Schwarz am 27. August 1918
    • Spanienkreuz am 31. Mai 1939
    • Spange zum Eisernen Kreuz II. Klasse am 22. September 1939
    • Spange zum Eisernen Kreuz I. Klasse am 2. Oktober 1939
    • Panzerkampfabzeichen in Silber am 29. August 1941
    • Verwundetenabzeichen (1939) in Gold am 25. Mai 1942
    • Medaille Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42 am 15. Juli 1942
    • Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes mit Eichenlaub, Schwertern und Brillanten
    • Ritterkreuz am 9. Juli 1941
    • Eichenlaub am 17. Februar 1942 (74. Verleihung)
    • Schwerter am 2. April 1943 (28. Verleihung)
    • Brillanten am 17. August 1944 (17. Verleihung)
    • Nennung im Wehrmachtsbericht am 21. Februar 1942; 3. September 1943; 5. August 1944; 19. April 1945

Edited by Claudio

I also purchased a new book at the show which is just on Feldmarshall's and Grossadmirales. Below is a really good color pic of Model with his RKEK with oakleaves and swords.The pictures is dated May 1944 so it is before he received the diamonds to the RK. Any comments are welcomed.

OK TO REPLY

Paul,

My congratulations also! :cheers: A great bar and piece of history to own. What is the title of the above mentioned book?

Thanks

Matt