News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Napoleonic Art

Bear

• 1 year later...
    • 11 months later...

Another portrait. Copperplate print by Ernst Ludwig Riepenhausen (* 6. Sept. 1762 in - † 27. Januar 1840)

General of Cavalry Johann I Joseph, Prince of Liechtenstein (* Vienna, 26 June 1760 - † Vienna, 20 April 1836).

• 5 months later...

Just added another item to my increasingly eclectic Napoleonic collection! This contemporary and quite naive hand coloured woodcut depicts the land and sea bombardment of Copenhagen in early September 1807, by forces under the command of Wellington (then General Sir Arthur Wellesley). British forces numbered some The seller tells me that it came (to him), in an album, directly from the descendents of Admiral Sir Charles Brisbane. Brisbane (1769-1829) had a distinguished career, serving with distinction under Nelson (other pieces from Brisbane were sold at Bonhams last year).

There is some great detail in this print, which I hope you find as interesting as I have...it really draws you in...the more you look the more you see...the ammunition tumbrils, the mortar teams, the disposition of the encircling forces... mortar, cannon and congreve rockets were used between the 2nd - 7th September in the bombardment...naive as it is, this picture actually gives a sense of how terrifying the ordeal must have been for the people in Copenhagen.

An interesting article, relating to the bombardment of Copenhagen, appeared in this Spring edition of the 'Waterloo Journal' (by Gabriele Eilert-Ebke and Hans Ebke)...it relates the part that the Hannoverian KGL (some 10,000 of them) played.

I can't find any definitive record of this print, so if anyone knows anything about its origins, I would love to hear:

BombardmentofCopenhagen.jpg

TopLeft.jpg

TopRight.jpg

BottomLeft.jpg

BottomRight.jpg