News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Here is a piece of paper you do not often see,and definately a first for me.This is a very rare Hilfskreuzer award document for a crewman from the HSK Kormoran,awarded while he was a POW in Australia.As we know the survivors of the Kormoran were captured and incarcerated in Australia after the Kormoran/HMAS Sydney engagement.

I did hear that the Kormoran survivors,including the Commander,Theodor Detmers,received their awards while they were in captivity in Australia.

I am very pleased to have this rare document.

Regards,Martin.

Edited by Martin W

Guest Rick Research

It would be interesting to know who and what "Clemens" who signed off was.

A very interesting document. Noteworthy that it says the badge is being held for him until his return-- I once had items from a casualty aboard the "Scharnhorst" and his father was sent the posthumous High Seas Fleet Badge etc.

Never seen P.O.W. award documentation before! :cheers:

Congratulations Martin, a rare document indeed. Its interesting that the example I have appearing in the book was dated just a week or so earlier, signed by the same officer, but has the same serial number at top left. (342/43). I had assumed that this was a unique serial referring to that actual bestowal, but it can't be if there were two the same. I guess it must refer to a file number covering all the awards to the Kormoran crew.

It would also be interesting to know what the letter annotation at bottom left referse to. Yours is "J". The one I have from Kay is "Ni".

I have asked a fellow HSK collector to send me and image of the Kormoran document that he has to compare.I have also heard of conflicting stories that some Kormoran crewmen received their awards in captivity and other awards were sent to their families?

I will try to get more information on this subject.

i do beleive that the Commander of the Kormoran,Theodor Detmers was given his RK while in captivity,and there are photographs to prove this.

Regards,Martin.