News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New british P1892/95 infantry officer's sword

Mervyn,

Thank you for your reply. Not an insult at all! I am a bit of an Anglophile, I suppose. :) The display was for educational purposes only. The fellow seemed to know his stuff (he mentioned that he participates the the RorkesDriftVC.com forum), and most of the placards detailed how each item was of relevance to the conflict. I believe the rifle is a Martini Henry, and not a Lee Metford. I am not sure about the carbine. Firearms are not my strong suit!

Victorian campaigns are not popular at all in the US, which is why the display was such a pleasant surprise.

Jonathan

Edited by Jonathan Hopkins

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a one, but this time a P1897 infantry officer's sword by Ranken & Co., with GRI cypher (indicating that it belonged to an officer of the Indian Army), and complete with its original sword bag bearing the initials of it original owner--F.C. Head of the 6th Jat Light Infantry (served in Mesopotamia in the attempt to relieve Townshend at Kut).

Head2.jpg

Head3.jpg

Head7.jpg

Mervyn,

I think the cypher is slightly larger due to the "I" for "Imperator", which is found on Indian Army swords. If it was for an officer in a British regiment the cypher would simply be "GR". The overall look of the sword is much more workman-like than a comparable Wilkinson. The details on the guard are a bit different (less refined) and the blade is beefier. It is a bit heavier than other P1897s I have handled, and it is very much a fighting sword (although possibly never worn in battle). Here are a few comparison shots with other P1897s:

P1897 by Ranken for Lt. FC Head, c.1911-18:

Head6.jpg

P1897 by Hobson for Lt. EGS Truell, c.1898:

Trotter4.jpg

P1897 by Wilkinson for Lt. WH Wilkin, C.1898:

w-4.jpg

And here is a comparison of the differences between the P1895 and P1897 hilts. Note that in addition to the turned-down edge, the pierce work on P1897s is much smaller than on P1895s.

1895-97-3.jpg

1895-97-2.jpg

1895-97-1.jpg

• 11 years later...

Hi Jonathan, hope this finds you and yours well at this time, as I hope the rest of the members are safe and well.

Hope you are looking after my family sword mate.......perhaps one day you will let me bring it back into the family fold.

Well done of the collecting. I am still researching and interested in Neale family and would love to add to the collection.

Again keep well, happy researching/collecting.

Chris.