News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Martin: Nice observation--the first meetings were smaller, but the popularity of the meetings (and the attendance) grew over the years. Atlantis' meetings got to the point where they were scheduled as weekend-long events with A LOT of attendees.

a handful of Kormoran crew did immigrate back to Australia. There was no choosing to "stay" after the war ended. All had to go through the process of requesting to move back...find a sponsor, show guarantee or at least prospect of a job, et al.

Joe

• 4 months later...

Beautiful and exotic, Martin. Keep 'em coming!!

Erik

This one just arrived Erik.It is for a crewman on the MICHEL's 1st cruise.

The MICHEL docked at Kobe,Japan on March 2nd 1943.

From what i understand her Commander,Hellmuth von Ruckteschell fell ill and was hospitalized in Tokyo?

Most of the 1st MICHEL award documents i have seen are signed by a F.Kapt Dr Karl Bohme of the Heimatstab Ausland on behalf of Ruckteschell.

This one is signed on March 26 1943.

Regards,Martin.

Martin:

Oberzimmermannsmeister Ernst Miersen was lost with the sinking of MICHEL (second cruise). He does not appear on any other crew lists. Should be pretty easy to ascertain how he came to be in-place to join the second cruise of MICHEL . More to follow. I'll return home on Tuesday and have the rest of the week to do a bit of research.

Joe

Superb Martin, how many HSK documents do you have now. You seem to be cornering the market !

Hi Gordon,

well,i do not think i am cornering the market but i am on the way to acheive my goal of obtaining at least one document from the nine ships.

So far i have doc's from the Kormoran,Stier,Orion,Michel and Thor.

None of these HK documents are easy to obtain,but i am a patient person and i hope that eventually i can get the doc's from the Atlantis,Komet,Pinguin and Widder. :rolleyes:

I think that the Kormoran document is probably one of the hardest to obtain as all of her 320 survivors were interned as POW's in Australia.

Documents from the Pinguin and the 2nd Michel cruise will also be tough to get,i think,as most of the awards were posthumus?

Joe,

As always i will look forward to you input.

Regards.Martin.

Edited by Martin W