News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New Engraved EK1

In keeping with my fondness for engravings I recently picked this piece up. Convex 800 marked cross. The inscription translates as "Conceal the longing in your heart with the cross on your breast. Thea"

I like the idea of a "sweetheart EK". Perhaps the recipients wife, girlfriend or mistress bought him this private purchase cross and had it engraved for him, presenting it to him prior to his return to the front?

Nice pick up Glen, I really like the theme of the engraving. I wonder what Thea looked like, sounds like she was a romantic hottie! Had a girlfriend years ago named Thea, maybe this is why I think that :whistle:

These engraved pieces are through the roof price wise. This hobby is going crazy.

Chris

Glenn, when I read your post I thought of my Grandmother.

This is my (maternal) Grandmother Hildegard in 1916, wearing a sweetheart Iron Cross for her fiancé. Perhaps Thea wore one as well

Edited by Naxos

Hello

A really great inscription :beer: I'd venture to say that, given the text of the inscription, this was period engraved. It's unlikely someone 'enhancing' a standard WW1 EK1 would put something like this on it.

Great find and super cross.

Naxos,

I would like to echo Glenn's comments regarding your photo of your Grandmother.

What a great photograph with her wearing a patriotic Iron Cross brooch. I have many of these Iron Cross patriotic brooches and pendants and have identified more than a hundred different designs so far, but it is really something to see a great photograph of a beautiful girl actually wearing one.

Thanks very much for posting this image, I appreciate seeing it!

Cheers,

Gary

Naxos,

I would like to echo Glenn's comments regarding your photo of your Grandmother.

What a great photograph with her wearing a patriotic Iron Cross brooch. I have many of these Iron Cross patriotic brooches and pendants and have identified more than a hundred different designs so far, but it is really something to see a great photograph of a beautiful girl actually wearing one.

Thanks very much for posting this image, I appreciate seeing it!

Cheers,

Gary

Thank you Gary!

Now you have to start a thread showing your brooches!

:cheers:

A remarkable inscription. I have not seen its like before.

More reminiscent of an earlier century. Cut from Jane Austin's cloth and sewn together by the affection she had for this IC recipient.

She must have been a very contemplative woman.

Edited by Claudius

Glenn, when I read your post I thought of my Grandmother.

This is my (maternal) Grandmother Hildegard in 1916, wearing a sweetheart Iron Cross for her fiancé. Perhaps Thea wore one as well

Hello!

Interesting photo. :cheers:

All the best

Nesredep.