News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

2600th Year Anniversary Miniature

Dieter3

Yes, I have seen such a group, there was one up for auction but I do not recall what all was there - Sacred Treasure and Rising Sun for sure, there were 5 or 6 if I recall correctly, I wan to say Red Cross mini was there, I definitely don't recall seeing a 2600 anniversary mini though. The ones that were in the auction were indeed mounted in some type of frame with glass. (Is that kinda what you mean by a mounted group?)

The only Japanese miniature group I've ever seen was the one illustrated in Jim Peterson's book on Japanese awards. We sold that with the rest of Peterson's collection in 1995. From the response by Japanese collectors, there are very few Japanese miniature groups mounted like this. However, I had seen individual miniatures of the various Red Cross awards, probably indicating awards to foreigners.

Hi Lars,

No, that's not the set. What I saw was on Yahoo! Japan Auctions actually, not eBay, and it was framed in glass. I collect pictures of auction items, but as I don't really have an interest in miniatures, I didn't think much of it at the time so no picture. But this 2600th one caught my eye as I've never seen one of these, I thought it was quite interesting!

Here's one I did save as it had a case and rosette with it, so I thought that was nice:

I've also seen a Sacred Crown mini, but it was a solo, not part of any set, and no picture saved. :o

Yes, these appeared in very nice condition, no cases though. So, it appears that miniatures exist for at least some commemoratives, as well as Red Cross Merits and Special Members, and some orders.

I'm guessing - no Golden Kite minis? And I haven't seen any minis for actual campaign medals....?? Do either exist??

Minis do exist for most of the orders and medals. I have only once seen a Golden Kite mini and I have seen a few campaign medal minis. The easiest one of these to find is the 1904-05 War Medal, I have two of these that are with a UK group to an official observor who was an officer in the British Army and was awarded the Rising Sun, Sacred Treasure and 1904-05 War Medal in addition to his British awards.

The normal Japanese mini groups, however, are what you would expect to see on a diplomat rather than a soldier.

• 1 month later...

Minis do exist for most of the orders and medals. I have only once seen a Golden Kite mini and I have seen a few campaign medal minis. The easiest one of these to find is the 1904-05 War Medal, I have two of these that are with a UK group to an official observor who was an officer in the British Army and was awarded the Rising Sun, Sacred Treasure and 1904-05 War Medal in addition to his British awards.

The normal Japanese mini groups, however, are what you would expect to see on a diplomat rather than a soldier.

Hi Paul,

As I collect the photos of all the British medal groups containing Japanese Orders and expecially the 1904-05 War Medal, May I ask you to post a photo of such miniature group ?

Can you please let me also know to who it was awarded (there were NOT many that received the 1904-05 War Medal, indeed).

In mean time this is the miniature of 1904-05 War Medal in my collection :

Edited by lilo

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for your kindness !

This group was missed from my database.

In another thread on this forum I have read that in the next future you'll do a trip to Japan and have offered another member to look for a particular item (help that the other member refused).

May I ask you to try to find another miniature of 1904-05 War Medal ?

As you can see mine is a little different from that in your group and I would like to obtain one of this miniature medal with the exact colours (not faded or stained) of the ribbon and of the bronze of the medal itself as that in your photo.

Can you help me please ?

Best Regards

Lilo

Edited by lilo