News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

SOE meets De Gaulle

Nick

De Gaulle is a fascinating subject... You either hate him, or you detest him...:rolleyes:

Mind you, prior to his swing into politics (mid war), the man was quite the soldier and tactician. Even Guderian praised him for his inter war book on armoured warfare. And he was the only successful field commander in 1940, but received no support from his superiors who he had just proven wrong.

Sometimes I wonder what could've happened had he been allowed to form France's formidable tank force into dedicated armoured units. Imagine entire brigades of S-35s and Char Bis facing panzer IIs and IIIs... The panzers would've been decimated.

Anyway, to get back to the main subject... Read my first sentence.

Very interesting indeed. As is stated above, you either love him or you detest him. He is very popular in France I believe. My view on this is that he was desperate to gain independence for France and that made him react the way he did as described in this BBC piece. As a strong French patriot he was obviously keen to avoid any control of France from the UK or the USA... maybe he was having a bad day. I do admire the guy for what he did during the war. Unfortunately, he remained in power for too long and came back to power during the Algerian "evenements" far too old and with old fashioned views.