Jim P

Prussian Crosses Real,Fake or outright Fantasy?

Found these at the local pawn shop. From the style and dates,I thought they may be pre-WWI. I am unsure whether they are awards,veterans association related or outright fantasies. I wouldn't have thought fantasy until I flipped them over and found an RZM stamp on the screwback. I can see no reason for this unless it is an outright fake or someone tried to tart up an original piece.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Jim P, can you post close-ups of these pieces?

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Jim P, can you post close-ups of these pieces?

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

I had to down-size the photos to get them under the 110k limit. The originals show much better detail,but are far too large to post. I can e-mail them if needed.

Jim

These have been turning up on ebay a lot lately. I would quantify them as fantasy pieces.

Hi Jim,

we don't need better pictures, the RZM mark is "good" enough = fantasy.

Uwe

The reason I asked for better pictures is the RZM mark is barely discernible on the first post, but I agree, Fantasy Trash.

Kevin in Deva,.

Yes, these particular items are crude fakes that are currently flooding eBay. The RZM stamp is laughable and is becoming on fake 1914EK1s as well.

The actual design of the crosses in question may actually be genuine, derived from period commemerative pieces, so I'm not sure if fantasy is 100% appropriate (in combination with the RZM hardware, fantasy IS appropriate!).

Regards

Mike

There are real regimental crosses of this design-- anniversary/souvenir unofficial jubilee items--

but these ain't them.

Weird what the fraudmeisters select to mass produce.

I want to thank you all for the help. Looking through the display case,they both looked promising,but once I flipped them over,the alarm bells started ringing. The back of both of them were very rough,especially the screwback and the RZM mark was the kiss of death for me. Always trust your gut and my gut said no,but it never hurts to ask for more opinions.

Thanks again,

Jim