News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Afghanistan Victorian Medal Group

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

Another recent purchase arrived today. Included was the Afghanistan Medal (w/ Kandahar + Ahmed Khel Clasps) plus the Kabul to Kandahar Star awarded to a Sergeant Thomas Penn of the 2/60th FOOT.

A GVI Issue Imperial Service Medal was also part of the group, but (thanks to Michael thumbsup.gif) it appears this belonged to his son.

I will be receiving some paper work on this one in the next couple of weeks that should explain everything (fingers crossed). Until then, here is what I have so far.

1. Afghanistan Medal

Obverse:

• Replies 64
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Darrell

Closeup of Obverse. As is often seen with the Egypt Medals (with damage done by the Khedives Star), the Afghan Medal took a kicking from it's often paired mate - The Kabul to Kandahar Star:

Edited by Darrell

Guest Darrell

Next up, the Kabul to Khandahar Star. This was awarded to all those who took part in the March from kabul to Khandahar in August 1880 and thus to anyone who earned the KANDAHAR Clasp to the Afghan Medal. Supposedly made from the Bronze metal of the guns captured from the Afghan Rebels during the final battle for Kandahar.

Obverse:

Edited by Darrell

Guest Darrell

Closeup of the Reverse, including the nicely impressed naming around the center of the Medal:

60/1378 SERGT. THOs PENN 20/60 FOOT

The scan does not show the good details in the naming. Very nicely done on these stars.

Edited by Darrell

Darrell - you have been fortunate to find some rare and interesting medals for your collection. I have an original copy of the Illustrated London News for 1879 and will post a few contemporary pictures of this campaign.

I think this current one in Afghanistan is the fourth - why we keep getting involved I just don't understand ? The 1879 one, we were fighting them and the Zulus - we certainly liked a challenge.

Guest Darrell

......I have an original copy of the Illustrated London News for 1879 and will post a few contemporary pictures of this campaign..........

Thanks Meryvn, that would fit in nicely with this thread.