News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

One question I?m asked, on a regular basis ? ?Is the ?Juncker Berlin SW68? maker marking a period mark?? Yes, I reply, cite the timeframe, show examples of badges with the mark, etc. The next question is usually.. ?Okay, but have you ever seen any period photo?s showing these badges in wear?? Well, for those who have asked, here is a perfect example of one of these badges in wear. This Radio Operator/Air Gunner badge comes with a large portrait of the recipient.

Another example of this maker mark can be found on the later Air Gunner/Flight engineer's badge.

Instituted on 22nd june 1942, this badge is the same as the Radio Operator/Air Gunner badge but without the lightning bolts.

It should be noted that there was a common practice to remove the bolts from RO/AG badges (post production) to make them into AG/FE badges to keep the costs of die production to a minimum.

This particular badge was factory produced without the bolts. The same wreath die and reverse setup were used, but a new die was made for the eagle.

Hi,

John, that's an exceptionall nice example - and with provenance :beer:

Rick, yes, the mark is very different from the previous marks. It was almost certainly made from scratch and used a different font. Fortunately for us collectors, the fakers choose to use this mark on their high quality basemetal fakes, making fake identification a lot easier for us.

The SW 68 mark can also be founf on zinc Pilot and P/O badges (I may have seen it on an zinc Observer too), as well as zinc Heer Flak badges to name a few more.

Regards

Mike K

Hi Mike, Hi John.. So, the other mark with the usual charachteristics to the "E & S" is mostly found on the buntmetal badges if I recall correctly? However that one is not seen on the later zinc badges? Or, are both styles seen on the zincers?

Thanks!!

Hi Rick,

In general, that is correct - the non-68 marked badges are "buntmetal", the "68" badges are zinc.

There is one definite exception to the rule - there exist genuine zinc Juncker Heer Flak Badges with the "early" non-68 maker mark. I've seen discussions on "68" marked tombak LW Flak Bagdes and there may be some Heer Para badge or flight clasp/spange exceptions as well.

Regards

Mike K

Here's an example;

With regards to buntmetal Vs zinc Luft flak badges with the SW68 mark, I have come across what I consider to be a transitional buntmetal, SW68 marked piece, but as far as the RO/AG and AG/FE badges are concerned, I?ve only ever seen this late zinc series marked as such.

Here's an example of the 'SW68' marked buntmetal piece I have on file.

Hello John,

I have one of these 'transitional' Juncker Flaks with the "SW68" marking - in buntmetall. The 2nd style in buntmetall to be exact, with the long wing feathers and breach rivits. Here she is -

[attachmentid=19548]