News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sorry battlecat but that's one very bad PAB IMO...although I will admit it's the first time I have seen this type of fake badge..it's also quite possibly the worst one I have ever seen. Could you post a complete scan of the reverse?

Dan

Hi Dan,

Sorry for the (Very) late response. I encountered a "bit" of canera trouble which escalated into a new camera this week. If you still would like to see a pic of the reverse of the "bad PAB", just let me know and I will submit one.

Otherwise, have a great weekend!

Tom

BattleCat

• 9 months later...
    • 5 months later...

Interesting thread!

Any chance of a few pointers as to what the giveaways are with these badges? In some cases, I'm struggling to tell some of them apart from Jan's excellent PAB thread that's running elsewhere - it's almost like a "spot the 10 differences" in the Daily Mail!!! (and I've only been able to score 2 :D )

Edited by Staff Sgt Jock MacSplock

Interesting thread!

Any chance of a few pointers as to what the giveaways are with these badges? In some cases, I'm struggling to tell some of them apart from Jan's excellent PAB thread that's running elsewhere - it's almost like a "spot the 10 differences" in the Daily Mail!!! (and I've only been able to score 2 :D )

Hi Jock

The best way to get to know the differences between original and fake is to study the characteristics of known originals and do side-by-side comparisons with pieces you?re considering going after.

Further to your PM regarding the ?Aurich? PAB found on a certain UKdealer site (a fake that matches the one posted in the fake PAB section) I?ve done a comparison of the reverse of an original (left) and the fake (right) in the hope that the differences will be clear.

?Aurich? used a unique hinge system that the fakers were unable to match.

The catch, although close, is of the type used on modern fakes, being set proud of the body of the badge instead of being slightly recessed in the case of the original.

The metal used is wrong, as is the bronze wash.

I?ll leave you to do some comparisons of the obverse of these badges so that you get the hang of picking out the differences.

:cheers:

• 2 months later...

That 'really bad one' I recognise as a Nicholas Morigi one. To be fair, they are mainly produced for the re-enactors market, & I think the 'mistakes' such as the weird wiggley cover over the drivers viewing slit, & the eagles beak are intended to show that this is a fake. My George cross copy has deliberate 'mistakes' on it in order for it to be seen as a copy.

This particular tank badge is die struck from brass & then silver plated, so the overall 'in hand' quality is exceptional. I am sure this one is not intended to deceive, & therefore deserves a bit of respect for that. All in all, any copy is lump of crap; but they make okay space fillers or look good on a re-enactors uniform!

• 3 months later...

WOW

So many Fakes, I am so glad I sold my collection of WWII German Militaria Collection for a good price. I probably had a lot of fakes and did not even now it:

Thank you for all of this information: I guess the only time to collect is when you are at the battlefield during the war that you like to collect.

Thank you

Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

• 4 years later...
    • 2 years later...
    • 3 years later...

the first PAB shown has the RARE! POSEY flower under the left hand tread, rite on looking at the obverse. sold on sites as UBER RARE! now i know that they are fakes!

• 2 years later...