News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Captain Dudley Davies Lambert

I hope this is of interest. It is with regard to my recently deceased cousin's late father, Dudley Lambert (and also about his wife as her maiden name was Graeme, therefore of my family). I do not know anything about what he did during his military service, apart from his involvement in WW1 judging by his medals, so any information would be much appreciated.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2009/post-8375-125859234127.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2009/post-8375-125859237773.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2009/post-8375-125859249958.jpg

Any guesses for which school he went to?!!

Edited by rusticalex

the answer is Rugby!

Early days with his future wife, Rosa Anstruther Graeme, at his parent's house...

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2009/post-8375-125859301828.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2009/post-8375-1258593196.jpg

Rosa as an 18 year old...

Edited by rusticalex

Hello Alex,

It's always interesting to read something like this and I'm sure some of the members here can tell you much about Dudley Davies Lambert's military life.

According to his medal index card, he entered Palestine in August 1917. I believe the RWF were at Beersheba and no doubt did much on their way to Jerusalem.

Great photos of your family.

Tony

A fantastic archive of have intact there. Many thanks for posting it.

Dudley Davies Lambert was commissioned 2nd Lieutenant in the London Gazette 12th July 1915. He was posted to the 6/RWF and served with the 3/6th. He was promoted Temp Lieutenant (LG 15/4/16) and Temporary Captain (11/7/16 to 20/7/17)

He was later attached to the 4th Bn. Was later restored to the 6th Bn re-joining the battalion in Palestine where he saw action, was then employed on a Special Appointment.

Hello Alex,

It's always interesting to read something like this and I'm sure some of the members here can tell you much about Dudley Davies Lambert's military life.

According to his medal index card, he entered Palestine in August 1917. I believe the RWF were at Beersheba and no doubt did much on their way to Jerusalem.

Great photos of your family.

Tony

A fantastic archive of have intact there. Many thanks for posting it.

Dudley Davies Lambert was commissioned 2nd Lieutenant in the London Gazette 12th July 1915. He was posted to the 6/RWF and served with the 3/6th. He was promoted Temp Lieutenant (LG 15/4/16) and Temporary Captain (11/7/16 to 20/7/17)

He was later attached to the 4th Bn. Was later restored to the 6th Bn re-joining the battalion in Palestine where he saw action, was then employed on a Special Appointment.

Thanks for that info chaps...where do you find this incredible stuff out? Books and internet, I presume! How might I find out more about the action that his battalion saw in Palestine, as well as the 'Special Appointment' he was employed on?

Thank you Chairman for opening up this new area for individual soldiers.

Cheers

Alex

Captain Dudley Davies Lambert

Born 26 August 1880, the younger son of John Lambert, Ellesmere House, Nottingham

Educated at Rugby School from May 1895 to 1899 where he played on the VI; School VIII, 1897-99, Capt, 1899;

Admitted as a Solicitor January 1907

Employed with Chamberlain & Johnson of Llandudno

Commissioned as 2nd Lieut, 6th Bn, RWF on 12 July 1915

Temp. Lieut, April 1916

Temp. Captain, July 1916 to July 1917

Served in Palestine in 1917, 1918 and 1919

Substantive Lieutenant, July 1917

Temp. Captain and Judicial Officer (Class FF), November 1918

Employed under Occupied Enemy Territory Administration, Palestine (South) as President of Court of First Instance, Jerusalem

Later a Partner in Ryley, Alcock, Anderson & Lambert, Liverpool

Retired by 1921

In 1921 his address was The Studio, Challoner Crescent, London, W14

Sources: Rugby School Register Annotated 1892-1921; Rugby School War Register; Record of Service of Solicitors and Articled Clerks 1914-1918.

I replied to this thread the other day but my reply seems to have disappeared. Here it is again though:

Alex,

I started a thread on a soldier in the EEF a few weeks back, although he wasn't RWF there were a few links in the thread you may find interesting. Click here

You could also have a read of Allenby's Dispatch.

Tony

Edited by Tony