News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Korean War Medal Bars

Ulsterman

Herman

Thanks for posting the Dutch trio. We are seeing a good variety of Korean War medals on this thread. I hope there will be more.

Regards

Brett

PS The British group mentioned in post #23 turned out to be made up with unnamed medals.

Thanks Brett,

Here is another picture. This is a group of a Dutch NCO, Opperwachtmeester KMAR (sergeant-major of the military police) G.H. Delahye who got a Korean medal, the Wharang for his service in Korea from jan 1953 to jan 1954.

His group is in the collection of the Marechaussee museum at Buren, the Netherlands.

His medals are: Dutch mobilisation cross for WW2, Dutch Korea medal (no bar), Long service medal for 12 years, UN Korea medal, Korean Wharang and Korean War Service medal.

greetings

Herman

Edited by Herman

Beautifull set. The Wharang/Hwarang is the 4th military decoration of the ROK.It is a decoration for merit (not bravery). Above the Wharang there are the bravery awards; Chung Mu, Ulchi and Taeguk. (The Chung Mu can been seen in the set posted by me)

There is also a Modern version of the Chung Mu in my set, the neck cross.

Edited by Herr General

• 2 months later...

You're right Kim, let's keep it alive smile.gif

To continue my post #21, here is an example of the trio that most on the Hospital Ship Jutlandia received.

Danish Korea (Jutlandia) Medal - UN Korea Service Medal - Korean War Service Medal

This one belonged to a nurse. She apparently went through the extra work of getting miniatures and having them mounted (maybe worn as a piece of 'jewelry').

I've seen her full size trio and they were just left as unmounted singles, which is how 95% (my estimate) of the ship crew and hospital crew kept theirs.

P.S: Nice group, Kim.

/Michael

Hello, After my dad passed away last year i found in a plasic bag through his things the 3 metals you have there in those picture. i have been trying everywhere to get info on them, they are not in the greatest condition, bu those 3 you have in the picture there are deffinatly them which i hold in front of me, metals and ribbons.

Just wondering how much would it be worth as i am not a collector and am looking to sell. thanks

You are very fortunate to have such an inheritance. I am sure that Michael will come up with the right answer for you. You can be certain that you will have no trouble selling the medals.

Regards

Brett

here is a photo of the bunch of things in the bag.

as i said the condition is poor, could you give me a little info on them? a estimated price maybe?

Hello Pjmeincke,

It's hard to judge the condition from the photo, but that Korea/Jutlandia trio would normally be sold for approx. US$1500.

I don't think the 1939-45 Star and the War Medal will add much to that price.

What matters the most for the price is the condition of the Jutlandia medal.

/Michael

Judging from the British ribbon bars on the right, the person concerned was also entitled to the Pacific Star to go with the 39/45 Star and War Medal. Presumably the British medals are unnamed and it would be easy enough to add an unnamed Pacific Star to the group. Hopefully, there are family records that will indicate to whom the British medals were awarded. If the WWII and Korean War medals belong to the same person, it will be an even more valuable and desirable group. Many Danes served with the British during WWII and the Pacific Star suggests a link with the Royal Navy.

Regards

Brett

Hello Pjmeincke,

It's hard to judge the condition from the photo, but that Korea/Jutlandia trio would normally be sold for approx. US$1500.

I don't think the 1939-45 Star and the War Medal will add much to that price.

What matters the most for the price is the condition of the Jutlandia medal.

/Michael

'wow' im stunned to hear such a price. Pitty on the on the condition of them. I wonder if there is anyway to get them refurbished? maybe add a bit more value to them.

the condition of the jutlandia is pretty bad, the medal it self has some scratches on it 1 looking like a kind of a dent.

Would you recommend ebay for this or a pawnshop? or is there a medals auction somewhere?

Thanks for the info!

,Pj

Edited by Pjmeincke

First of all - please don't refurbish them!

That would definitely lower their value among collectors.

I don't think there is a big market for this medal outside Denmark (the price I stated is for a good specimen sold here in Denmark).

If it was me I would sell it here in Denmark or alternatively on eBay and hoping some Danes were watching...

P.S:

Given the condition of the Jutlandia medal in your second photo, I would lower the estimated price to US$800-1000 for the trio.

P.P.S:

Putting a name on the trio - if you know it - would probably help the sale, but don't expect it to add value. People "buy the object not the story" and unfortunately these medals are not named.

/Michael

Edited by Great Dane

Judging from the British ribbon bars on the right, the person concerned was also entitled to the Pacific Star to go with the 39/45 Star and War Medal. Presumably the British medals are unnamed and it would be easy enough to add an unnamed Pacific Star to the group. Hopefully, there are family records that will indicate to whom the British medals were awarded. If the WWII and Korean War medals belong to the same person, it will be an even more valuable and desirable group. Many Danes served with the British during WWII and the Pacific Star suggests a link with the Royal Navy.

Regards

Brett

Yes i dont know if they are connected, but the 2 Australian medals, they have the name J.J. Miller on them both with a serial #, On the back of the star and on the rim of the silver one.

, Pj

Pj

Since the 39/45 Star and War Medal were Australian issues, the missing Pacific Star makes sense. The Australians were heavily involved on the land, sea and air in the war in the Pacific. Unfortunately, finding a missing named medal is virtually impossible and replacing it with an unnamed example is often frowned upon by collectors. Also, the Australian provenance means that there is at least one other medal missing - the Australia Service Medal, which was awarded to all Australians who served in WWII.

The fact that the Australian medals have a name and service number means that the service papers of the man concerned are obtainable. I do not have a web address for the Australian War Records office, but googling it should work. The Australians are excellent record keepers, so the service papers should be very revealing. Also, Australians have great pride in their military history and medals to Australians are sought after and well priced. If a family link could be established between the Danish and Australian medals, it would open your way into the active and lucrative Australian medal market.

Regards

Brett

• 2 weeks later...

You're right Kim, let's keep it alive smile.gif

To continue my post #21, here is an example of the trio that most on the Hospital Ship Jutlandia received.

Danish Korea (Jutlandia) Medal - UN Korea Service Medal - Korean War Service Medal

This one belonged to a nurse. She apparently went through the extra work of getting miniatures and having them mounted (maybe worn as a piece of 'jewelry').

I've seen her full size trio and they were just left as unmounted singles, which is how 95% (my estimate) of the ship crew and hospital crew kept theirs.

P.S: Nice group, Kim.

/Michael

Hello Great Dane,

This is a lovely trio.

Is it possible to post the reverse picture. :jumping:

I don't have Danish, Swedish,Spanish and Italian versions of the Un Medal.

Thanks

Demir Erman

It would be a shame if this thread died. There are plenty more different nations that were in Korea that we haven't seen here... yet.

I can't post much as Swedish Korean war stuff is scarce but here is a set I got recently. It's anonymous for the time being, but I hope I can change that. If I had to guess who it belonged to I would say a doctor at the hospital at Pusan. Time will tell if I'm right.

/Kim

Hello Kim,

Lovely ribbon bar.

Can you please post the reverse picture of the Swedish issue UN Korean War Medal.

Thanks

Demir Erman

Hi Demir

Here's a pic of the back. As you can see it's the English version. The Swedes in Korea got the English version of the UN medal. There never was a special UN medal for the Swedes in Korea or even national Korea medal for that matter, like the Danish Jutlandia or Norwegian Korea medal.

Do you have anything from the hard fighting Turkish force in Korea?

/Kim

Hi Demir

Here's a pic of the back. As you can see it's the English version. The Swedes in Korea got the English version of the UN medal. There never was a special UN medal for the Swedes in Korea or even national Korea medal for that matter, like the Danish Jutlandia or Norwegian Korea medal.

/Kim

Thanks Kim,

The reason I asked is; as you may know the UN official web page:

http://www.un.org/en/peacekeeping/sites/medals/

says:

" The wording shown may be in English, French, Spanish, Danish , Greek, Italian, Dutch, Swedish, Sanskrit (I think this is mistake instead Aramhic for Ethiopia or may be they issued a few now for the Indian troops) or Turkish " (Thai version was not included and I have one in my collection : http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=31830)

I did not see Danish and Swedish, even the pictures.

Demir Erman

PJMeincke,

I noticed you put your medals on eBay like you said, but I'm just surprised that you ship to United States only?

I'm not sure there's a big demand for the Jutlandia medal outside Denmark.

The medal is popular here in Denmark because that Korea mission is sort of an historical event, redefining our identity in post-war Europe.

Personally I'm not scared off by shipping conditions - I'll just ask the seller (before I bid), but you'll be surprised how many buyers will just cklick away (too many "Read the f.... conditions" replies from sellers I guess...)

/Michael

Hi Demir

/Kim

Hello Kim,

I only have the Turkish UN Medal and a pin given to the Brigade.

Demir Erman

• 6 months later...

Here is another Swedish group, without Swedish awards... It was sold in smaller lots with medals and ribbon bars separated. I got most of the stuff but missed out on a Swordmedal (a long service medal for lower ranks). So this is a Swede that was in Korea and later in Gaza with UNEF. The UN medal was lost at some time but its box is still keeping the other stuff together.

/Kim

post-205-015880600 1288272825_thumb.jpg

Hi Demir

/Kim

Hello Kim,

Please read my recent threads on:

Korean War Turkish Troops outfit and badges : http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=45822

Turkish Korean War Veterans: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=45821

Korean War Medal given to the Turkish Troops by UN, Wondered facts about the Korean War UN Medal given to the Turks: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=45819

Regards

demir

Not "Bars" but groups with Korean War Service. Here are a few of mine. Cheers Captain Albert

post-8299-077315100 1288315995_thumb.jpg

Lieutenant Commander Benjamin Franklyn Scott Jr., US Navy Fighter Pilot, CO VFP-62 (Recon) USS Essex CVA-9, USS Rudyerd Bay CVE-81, USS Franklin Delano Roosevelt (CVB/CVA/CV-42), USS Randolph CVS15 Served in World War 2 and Korea (1942-1964).