News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My new Irish ribbon bar

Noor

Hi,

Trip to Cork city military fair was cancelled because the massive fluding there - all the Cork city centre is under the wather!

So, I went out to go and look at the rugby in the city centre... on the way I randomly pop in to the market to have a quick look and from one box I found this piece....

Irish ribbon bar with the old style pin system! It's my very first Irish bar with the 1939-1946 Emergency Medal. Actually its the first bar at all with that award what I have ever seen!

- 1939-1946 Emergency Medal

- Medal of Service in the Defence Forces, 15 Years

• 2 weeks later...

After some interesting info from fellow Irish forum member, I can be sure that this bar actually belonged to the NCO! I was pretty sure before that this period Irish Defence Forces used ribbon bars more often by officers but as an example above.... 15 years Long service award was only NCO award until 1983 (speechless.gif ), when officers came entitled to those medals as well.

cheers.gif

Edited by Noor

• 3 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 9 months later...

Earliest Irish ribbon bar what is possible to find! If you have any, please post them up!!!!!

Hi,

This bar was on sale separately from the medal's lot (what still includes exact same second bar). This bar belonged to Sergeant Thomas O'Shea, who was police man from Dublin Metropolitan Police.

His ribbon bar consists:- Visit to Ireland Medal Queen Victoria, 1900, bronze

- Visit to Ireland Medal Edward VII, 1903, bronze

- Visit to Ireland Medal George V, 1911 silver

There is a bronze lugs on reverse for mounting on tunic. It is surelly earliest Irish bar what I ever had!

Dublin Metropolitan Police service records confirm only one T. O'Shea as serving with the force during that unit's existence. Thomas O'Shea, born in the parish of Ballysimon (post town Monaleen, Co. Limerick) 1876 (baptised 14/5/1876), joined the Dublin Metropolitan Police on 7/7/1899. He was recommended for the force by a Justice of the Peace by the name of Mr Purcell, and at the time of joining was 23 years of age, stood some 6 feet 2 1/4 inches in height and gave his trade as that of labourer and religion as Roman Catholic.

On joining the DMP O'Shea was allocated warrant no. 10225, posted to C Division on 5/1/1900, transferred to E Division on 19/9/1913, being promoted Sergeant on the same day, transferred to B Division on 27/3/1914, and finally transferred to A Division on 1/7/1920, being appointed Station Sergeant on the same day. O'Shea was pensioned on 10/4/1922.

Royal Visit Medals awarded to the Dublin Metropolitan Police are considerably scarcer than those awarded to the Royal Irish Constabulary, the DMP having a total strength of approximately 1,200 officers and men at the time of the Royal Visits of 1900, 1903 and 1911, whereas the RIC was composed of approximately 9,800 officers and men in each of those years.

The Dublin Metropolitan Police (DMP) was the police force of Dublin, Ireland, from 1836 to 1925, when it amalgamated into the new Garda Síochána.

Rural policing in Ireland began when Robert Peel, then Chief Secretary for Ireland, created the Peace Preservation Force in 1816. This rudimentary paramilitary police force was designed to provide policing in rural Ireland, replacing the 18th century system of watchmen, baronial constables, revenue officers and British military forces. Peel went on to found the London Metropolitan Police.

In 1822, a new Act created four improved "County" Constabularies, whose organisation was based around the traditional provinces of Ireland.

These were merged into a new centralised Constabulary of Ireland, in 1836 and the Peace Preservation Force ceased to exist. At the same time separate non-paramilitary forces were set up in the larger towns: Dublin, Belfast, and Derry. Discipline problems saw the Belfast and Derry forces absorbed by the national force, and only Dublin maintained its separate force.

The DMP was modelled closely on London's Metropolitan Police. Not only were the uniforms of the two forces almost indistinguishable, especially after the helmet and Bath Star were adopted, but the two forces also had a similar organisational structure; rather than a Chief Constable, they were commanded by a Commissioner, who was not a police officer, but a magistrate holding a Commission of the Peace. This was descended from the 18th century system of controlling parish constables, and was a sop to the public's fears about the danger of a standing police force under government control.

1732369191e61f_l.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
    • 1 year later...

Here is my yesterday's find. This one is not made "yesterday" for collectors market - nice and old original bar to the brave man who fought during the Irish War of Independence and was still in some form of service (maybe 26th Battalion or Home Guard, etc) during Second World War.

- Black and Tan medal (1917-1921 Service medal)

- The Emergency service Medal (1936-1946)

20308177bc4b52_l.jpg

• 1 year later...

Very nice find Noor,

I have been after one of these type for a long time.

His service ribbons are for:

Top:- AN BONN SIRBHISE The military service medal, with ribbon colours for15 year's service.

Second row:- AN BONN CHOSANTOIRI SIOCHANA NA NAISIUN AONTAITHE / The United Nations Peacekeepers Medal.

United Nations UNIFIL Service Medal for service in South Lebanon.

United Nations MINURSO - 1991 Mission Medal (United Nations Mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara, the acronym derives from the use of the French language, Mission des nations unies pour le referendum dans le Sahara Occidental).

Kevin in Deva.

Hallo Peter,

these are usually made "in country", they started to appear in the early 1980's in South Lebanon, and were worn while on U.N. Service, usually with the U.N. Khaki / Parade uniform, they were seldom if ever worn at home, quite cheap to buy via the Unit Canteen along with other souvenir insignia that would never be worn on the uniform back home, such as a name tag with Irish flag, and specific numbered IRISHBATT pocket hangers.

These painted ribbon bars were easier to maintain than the issue cloth ones, many of which, particularly the Irish Service medal ribbons could not be sourced while out on U.N.service.

Kevin in Deva

Kevin

I shoulda thunk a that! :blush: Especially as I know how much 'in country' stuff the UN missions typically generate. And hadn't considered the ribbon supply problem either. Makes me feel better about the land of my forebears and its military standards!

Peter

Hi Peter, :beer:

one of the largest purveyors of U.N. connected mission insignias being the French military, some of it quite nice too in design.

Kevin.