News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Captain Robert Graeme - Born 04.12.1839 Dcd 14.05.1910

Further to the post about my Cousin Diana's father - My link - this next post is about my Cousin's grandfather, on her mother's side. Robert Graeme, born on 4th December 1839, descended from the Graeme's of Orchill, a branch of my family.

Young Robert...

His father was Charles Harrington Graeme (more of him at a later stage)

and his mother was Sarah J. Anstruther Brice. Robert had a brother, Charles Henry Edward Graeme (more of him later on too).

Cap badge, although I don't think from the hat in the previous photo.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2009/post-8375-125901279639.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2009/post-8375-125901281109.jpg

A tiny plate? Less than 3" across...

Interesting stuff - the cap badge appears to be the one-piece brass economy badge of WWI, although it could be a one piece white metal Volunteer Battalion's cap badge with the loop fittings removed, gilded & brooched as a "sweetheart".

The unidentified badge is that worn by the regiment on the shako, 1869 - 1878, officer's gilt & silver version.

"Bob" The Regimental Pet, shown on the christmas card - the present day "Bobby" (followed by a series of Roman numersls, probably up in the 30's - 40's by now) The Black Buck continues the tradition as mascot of The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, into which The Warwicks amalgamated in 1968.

• 13 years later...

Good evening all.

Sorry for digging up this old post of mine from many years ago, but am item is coming up at auction soon that I think may have been presented to Robert Graeme, the aforementioned in this post.  Is the regiment that he was in the same as the 6th Royal Regiment, please, and could this regiment have been in Jamaica in 1865?  If so then I might bid on the item.

Many thanks in advance of any assistance.

Alex

Hi,

When I typed in the 6th. Royal Regiment in Google search this came up: The Royal Warwickshire Regiment, previously titled the 6th Regiment of Foot.

6th Regiment, the Royal Warwickshire did put down the Morant Bay Rebellion/Jamaican Rebellion in 1865.

So, there is a good chance you will have to bid 😁

Regards, Marcon1.

On 16/11/2023 at 02:17, Marcon1 said:

Hi,

When I typed in the 6th. Royal Regiment in Google search this came up: The Royal Warwickshire Regiment, previously titled the 6th Regiment of Foot.

6th Regiment, the Royal Warwickshire did put down the Morant Bay Rebellion/Jamaican Rebellion in 1865.

So, there is a good chance you will have to bid 😁

Regards, Marcon1.

Thank you for that Marcon1 - it's almost certainly my ancestor.  The estimate on the item is £1500 to £2000, so I'm thinking long and hard about whether or not I can afford it!!

• 2 months later...
    On 23/11/2009 at 21:56, rusticalex said:

Bullion from his uniforms (not certain about a couple of the pieces, whether or not they were of this regiment)...

post-8375-12590133049.jpg

Buttons...

post-8375-12590133637.jpg

Hi Rusticalex,

not seen this thread before somehow…

what a great read.

I notice in the above one you question whether they are all his.

I presume you mean the 2 ‘grenades’?

Though most commonly associated with the Royal Artillery and Royal Engineers they are also the emblem for ‘fusiliers’.

I found this 97D21EA0-7A3E-42C1-BD36-28B3892E46F9.thumb.jpeg.c7c0d7192cc991544029365c25436113.jpeg

I would be happy to say that all those are his.

cheers

tony 🍻