News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Boer War Photograph Album No.1 - Enjoy!

There is a memorial in Port Elizabeth that commemorates the 300 000 horses that died during the Boer War. Earlier this year, on 31 May, the anniversary of the day the war ended in 1902, another horse memorial was unveiled at the Weston Agricultural College in the Natal Midlands. This school is situated on the site of No. 5 Remount Depot near Mooi River from which horses used during the campaigns in Natal, Orange Free State and Transvaal were collected and dispersed. About 30 000 horses died at this Depot. Pupils at the school have collected horseshoes scattered round the property and these have been welded into an obelisk mounted on a pedestal to form part of the memorial.

Most battlefield tourists to Natal probably bypass Weston, but the school museum and memorial are worth visiting by arrangement. Weston Agricultural College has a website that Google readily identifies.

Brett

Graham - I hadn't realised that it was with the MI that the title of Co.Sgt.Maj. was created. Thanks for that 'tidbit'.

Hi Mervyn,

I have all of the Regimental Journals for the Northumberland Fusiliers for the South African War and in the Digest of Service it mentions those NF senior ranks being posted to and from the MI and either taking up/or reverting from the rank of CSM.

PS

Are you also aware of the Volunteer Service Company's, which served with the Regular Army?

Brett,

As a horse owner it's nice to know that they aren't forgotten either.

Edited by Graham Stewart

The wonderful thing about the Forum is the incidental info. that comes out. I knew Brett would have the answer to the horse memorial - I remembered seeing an article in the paper , but memory failed. Thanks Brett - there's another question for you in the next photo album from Alex !

Graham - I know of the Volunteer Service Companies - but not in depth detail. I'm sure with your knowledge, you could make a great post on the subject ?

I have shown a few pictures of a horse drawn field ambulance from the Boer War. I intend them only to show a little more detail than the photo does, but, I do not want to draw attention away from the photographs. The waggon was drawn by two ponies - or, in emergency - two oxen. The boxes under the waggon on either side are for medical supplies. Note the hoops to secure the wheels and the stand for the wggon boom to hold it even. Apart from the engine, field ambulances were not that different in the WW2 period.

• 5 months later...

My grandfather:

I will do a profile on him at some stage, and his brother, but I've no idea where to start on either of them, as we have so many photos, letters, etc, etc! I'll stick with simpler things for the moment!!

:beer:

Alex

Thats interesting - I did not know the SH served in bensons column (they didn't as far as I know?), was he attached to another unit do you know or am I mistaken or missied some info around Bensons 'Flying' column? Mike

• 2 months later...

The first photograph in the series 'Picking Remounts' shows soldiers of the KOSB - that particular regiment did have a MI Company. Lt Coulson DSO KOSB won a posthumous Victoria Cross with the MI.

Interesting photos by the way - thanks for posting them.