News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Long Range Desert Group Members

Gary W

Hi

Does anyone know of any surviving members of the LRDG in UK? I am looking at running an expedition to the Western Desert to cover some of the routes used by these brave men and making a short film or documetary of same, using period vehicles, WW2 uniforms, rations, methods etc. I would love to have some footage from a set of interviews with one or more of these fellows to help me with the background for the exped and pre op research etc.

Failing this perhaps someone had a relative who was in the LRDG and have some information about them that we can also include. The expedition itself is to raise awareness of the deeds these formations carried out, the hardships and tasks carried out etc with the overall aim to raise money for some of the services charities.

Have a look at www.wdrg.org for more info

Best regards

Gary A Wallace

Major

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Does anyone know of any surviving members of the LRDG in UK? I am looking at running an expedition to the Western Desert to cover some of the routes used by these brave men and making a short film or documetary of same, using period vehicles, WW2 uniforms, rations, methods etc. I would love to have some footage from a set of interviews with one or more of these fellows to help me with the background for the exped and pre op research etc.

Failing this perhaps someone had a relative who was in the LRDG and have some information about them that we can also include. The expedition itself is to raise awareness of the deeds these formations carried out, the hardships and tasks carried out etc with the overall aim to raise money for some of the services charities.

Have a look at www.wdrg.org for more info

Best regards

Gary A Wallace

Major

Hallo Gary,

this might be of interest to you:-

http://www.jebelsherif.org/

http://www.lrdg.org/

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Just out of interest do gallantry medals to the LRDG have LRDG as the unit, or are they named to the parent unit of the winner?

Hi, got an answer from Brendan O'Carroll. Author of Barce Raid, Kiwi Scorpions, Bearded Brigands and also co-author of the film/book already mentioned in this thread on Jebil Sherif etc also from other similar sources re same.

" As far I understand it, LRDG gallantry awards are usually only named to the winner's parent unit; however, the citation sometimes mentions the LRDG involvement.

For example, in my book Barce Raid, I have listed eight citations for awards earned on the raid, of those, only in two are the letters 'LRDG' used. They describe the action and use the word 'patrol' a lot. "

"Cheers and happy Christmas,

Best regards

Brendan"

Hope this helps

Gary

Edited by Gary W