News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Italian non-official medals

The number of non-official Italian medals (i.e. medals not awarded by the government but by veterans' or patriotic societies and the like) seems to be quite large. Although some are of very little interest to militaria collectors, others may be hiding an interesting background.

A couple of those arrived in the mail today and I'm posting them here ... Looking forward to any information that club members may have on these.

[attachmentid=19172]

This first one is a bronze medal, 26mm diameter.

Obverse : to the right of the unknown gentleman is the text "Nullum Opus Arduum". At 7 o'clock are the very small initials S.J. which leads me to think this medal was manufacturered by the firm of Johnson in Milano.

Reverse : what appears to me to be a destroyer with "C7" under its stern. Top left is the year "MCMXV" (1915) and in the exergue "R. ESPLORATORE GUGLIELMO PEPE".

The second one :

Bronze medal, 33mm high (not including the suspension ring) and 24mm wide.

Obverse : a shield with some drapes - top half of the rim shows a wreath, bottom half of the rim has ropes.

Reverse : top text "R.N. NAPOLI" over what I think is a cruiser with "C13" under its stern. Bottom left, the initials S.J. again.

[attachmentid=19175]

Somewhat belatedly remembering the Italian Navy has a nice website, I went and checked ...

http://www.marina.difesa.it/storia/Almanacco/Parte08/Navi0836-02.htm

and

http://www.marina.difesa.it/storia/almanacco/parte02/navi0209-02.htm

give descriptions etc. of the two ships concerned ! :P They both saw service in WW I.

And a short search on the Pepe chap resulted in finding him to be a General that served at Marengo in Napoleon's Italian Legion ...

I'm beginning to like those little medals even more now ! Ouch, a new collecting field being born ? :speechless1:

• 2 months later...

Thanks Ed :beer:

The above will nicely go with the two I already obtained previously :

3rd Army Cross (WWI) and 4th Army Corps Cross (Eastern Africa again) ...

I find these crosses quite interesting and some of them are of a fairly decent quality. Would love to see more of them posted here ...

[attachmentid=27738] [attachmentid=27739]

• 4 months later...

A 3rd Army Corps cross (also Eastern Africa campaign) with "Ferreo" on the FERT sword clasp. Anyone out there that knows the significance of this sword device ?

[attachmentid=27733] [attachmentid=27734]

Hallo Hendrik, :beer:

I have recently obtained an Italian East African Service Medal with a similar sword device, it denotes combatant I believe, please see attached photos.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

• 4 months later...

The "Croce Commemorativa del Regimento "Savoia Cavalleria" nella Campagna di Russia nel 1942" (Commemorative Cross of the Savoia Cavalry Regiment in the Russian Campaign of 1942) was created in 1969 by the National Cavalry Association for award to members of the aforementioned regiment in remembrance of the two battles fought in August 1942 at Jagodnij and Isbuschenkskij (resp. 22 and 24 August). It is believed those battles were the last cavalry charges fought by western armed forces. For a loss of 86 men, the Italian cavalry charges inflicted some 250 casualties on the Russian forces of 2,000 strong.

Cheers,

Hendrik

[attachmentid=58705] [attachmentid=58706]

• 2 weeks later...

Another cute Italian unofficial medal is the "Medaglia ai Minorati di Guerra" ('war invalids medal' would be a suitable translation). Created on the instigation of the "Associazione Nationale Tubercolotice di Guerra" in 1924. Two nearly identical medals were struck, one by the firm of "M. Pozzi", the other by the "L. Fassino" firm (as indicated on the medal's obverse at 9 o'clock). The designer was one Prof. A. Marco, whose name can be found on the reverse.

[attachmentid=60487] [attachmentid=60489]

• 15 years later...

Hi Nick,

Nice one. The reverse translate to something like "one victory of faith, one will : peace". The dates suggest the 50th anniversary of Italy's entry into WWI. The obverse indicates the provincial federation of Verona of the National Veterans Association.

Regards,

Hendrik