News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Just received this today. I'm told the translation is "Through Adversity to the Stars" and that it is dated 1912.

Any info would be appreciated.

Ed

"Per Ardua Ad Astra" is indeed the motto of the RCAF and your translation is correct. Unfortunately for whoever dated it, the RCAF was not formed until May 29, 1925. Before that it was the Canadian Air Corps [1914-15} and the Canadian Air Force {1916-18] and, I think, was actually dormant from 1919-1925.

I think what you have is a blazer badge for a former member of the RCAF and is essentially undateable. The RCAF is now called "Canadian Forces Air Force" though it was the "Canadian Forces Air Element" for a period after we "unified" our armed forces back in the Sixties,[d**n all meddling politicians anyway!]

The CFAF retains the motto and the albatross [NOT an eagle!] portrayed on yr badge.

Hope this helps.

Peter

Edited by peter monahan

"Per Ardua Ad Astra" is indeed the motto of the RCAF and your translation is correct. Unfortunately for whoever dated it, the RCAF was not formed until May 29, 1925. Before that it was the Canadian Air Corps [1914-15} and the Canadian Air Force {1916-18] and, I think, was actually dormant from 1919-1925.

I think what you have is a blazer badge for a former member of the RCAF and is essentially undateable. The RCAF is now called "Canadian Forces Air Force" though it was the "Canadian Forces Air Element" for a period after we "unified" our armed forces back in the Sixties,[d**n all meddling politicians anyway!]

The CFAF retains the motto and the albatross [NOT an eagle!] portrayed on yr badge.

Hope this helps.

Peter

++++

Thanks for the detailed info Peter. I appreciate it.

Ed

• 4 months later...

Couldn't help but jump in on this one!

The motto of course is the same as used by the RAF, RNZAF, RAAF, etc. I agree with everything else suggested by members, but feel that Peter is kidding us about the albatross though, presume he served in the Navy! Navy types always seems to be the source of the hoary old myth of the RAF albatross. I think the only reason they get away with it is that the rendering of the bird is so poor that it could be just about ANY kind of bird you could name! Blame the original artist.

David D

Simple blazer crest, definitely post 1952.

Couldn't help but jump in on this one!

The motto of course is the same as used by the RAF, RNZAF, RAAF, etc. I agree with everything else suggested by members, but feel that Peter is kidding us about the albatross though, presume he served in the Navy! Navy types always seems to be the source of the hoary old myth of the RAF albatross. I think the only reason they get away with it is that the rendering of the bird is so poor that it could be just about ANY kind of bird you could name! Blame the original artist.

David D

Here's what the official RCAF web site has to say: "Ever since the birth of the RCAF, the heraldic descriptions of the various Air Force badges have described the bird as "an eagle volant affronté, the head lowered to the sinister", clearly answering the question. As Wing Commander Hitchins put it, "...it was still an eagle and always had been - although the albatross was a very nice bird, too."

The debate on what kind of bird it is has gone on since 1918, when both the British Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Naval Air service adopted the badge. So web-footed half of me was kidding! :whistle:

Edited by peter monahan

Peter,

Thought you would be a good sport about this, but your behaviour is exemplary!

David D

Here's what the official RCAF web site has to say: "Ever since the birth of the RCAF, the heraldic descriptions of the various Air Force badges have described the bird as "an eagle volant affronté, the head lowered to the sinister", clearly answering the question. As Wing Commander Hitchins put it, "...it was still an eagle and always had been - although the albatross was a very nice bird, too."

The debate on what kind of bird it is has gone on since 1918, when both the British Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Naval Air service adopted the badge. So web-footed half of me was kidding! :whistle:

David and Peter,

Thank you gentlemen for your OUTSTANDING pursuit of the facts. At least now we know it's an eagle - er- no an Albatross, NO and Eagle...Oh well...the design of the patch is beautifulblush.gif

Thanks again

Ed