News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Polish Monte Cassino Crosses

next one

And heres the last one. I remember reading somewhere that the highest serial numbered ones were never issued and eventually sold off to collectors, but these are all issued medals, I just sadly don't have the names of who they were awarded to.

Mike

And heres the last one. I remember reading somewhere that the highest serial numbered ones were never issued and eventually sold off to collectors, but these are all issued medals, I just sadly don't have the names of who they were awarded to.

Mike

Very nice. :cheers:

You are correct; highest numbered crosses (ca. 48,500 - 49,999) were never awarded, but were sold by the exiled Polish Government to dealers.

And even more sadly, it is extremely difficult to determine the names of your recipients since no master list of awards was kept by the 2nd Polish Corps. I have seen some partial lists, but am not sure how accurate those may be.

It is reasonably certain that your crosses were issued to soldiers in the following units:

2709 and 11364 = 3rd Carpathian Rifle Division

35750 = 2nd Corps Artillery

Edited by IrishGunner

"And even more sadly, it is extremely difficult to determine the names of your recipients since no master list of awards was kept by the 2nd Polish Corps. I have seen some partial lists, but am not sure how accurate those may be."

This info is incorrect. There is a list and a copy of it is held at the Sikorski Institute. If you contact them they can give you the name of the recipient as well as the unit he was in.

http://www.pism.co.uk/index.html

They can be contacted by mail and should be able to help you out.

Nice crosses by the way. Always happy to see these.

Cheers,

Greg

PS. The Institute's website has changed recently. They seem to be adding much information on a regular basis. Perhaps they will publish the master list of cross #'s for everyone.

Edited by GregK

That would be amazing if they would publish the list. I don't mind writing them to find out, but a quick check online would be a lot easier, that's for sure!

I appreciate the information!

Mike

• 6 months later...

That would be amazing if they would publish the list. I don't mind writing them to find out, but a quick check online would be a lot easier, that's for sure!

I appreciate the information!

Mike

Hello Mike-In Moment noLists printet for the Public-but planed end of 2010?By Sikorski Museum I waitet half a Year to indentify mine MC NR.35 822 Kanonier Franciszek Czarnecki 7. Regmt.light A.A.2 polish Corps-the understaffed takes some Time hope you have found out?Your Cross must be for an Artillery Man-not in my Lists!(but very near to the awarded crosses there!

best of Luck! Jurgen

Edited by Jurgen Fritz

• 4 months later...

Well, I hate to do it, but I have placed my three crosses up for auction on ebay. I don't know if I'm out of line mentioning this here, but my user name is mercierarmory. They all end on the 31st.

Mike

• 1 year later...