News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

E11R Diamond Jubilee 2012

• Replies 73
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At a guess with the ongoing military commitment in Afghanistan there is likely to be some kind of medal, assuming she is still on the throne of course. But would not be surprised to save money that those that were awarded the Golden Jubilee will receive a bar instead of a new medal.

Be interesting to see who gets the bauble - maybe economy dictates that only a small percentage of the miltary receive it, & it will be interesting to see whichever public service fails to receive it as they're out of favour for not toadying to the government of the day - or maybe gets it a year or so later, quietly, with instructions that there be no ceremony.

Edited by leigh kitchen

I understand that the contingency for the medal is well in place and it will be of the same design as the 2002 issue, albeit with a revised date and an un-plated finish. Those who qualify that already possess a 2002 medal will receive a stitch-on bar. That's the 'int' I have from a reliable source. Qualifying criteria will be broadly the same as the 2002 issue.

At a guess with the ongoing military commitment in Afghanistan there is likely to be some kind of medal, assuming she is still on the throne of course. But would not be surprised to save money that those that were awarded the Golden Jubilee will receive a bar instead of a new medal.

Are you serious? No precedent for this... I can't imagine that happening. Then again, the award of her golden jubilee medal was soooo botched in Canada, not much would surprise me.

Are you serious? No precedent for this... I can't imagine that happening. Then again, the award of her golden jubilee medal was soooo botched in Canada, not much would surprise me.

There is a precedent. Those of the Metropolitan Police who received the 1887 Metropolitan Police Jubilee Medal got a bar dated "1897".

I remember my articling student (a Naval Reserve officer) referring to the 1977 Jubilee as "the snivellers' medal" implying that if you whined to your CO enough you got put on the list. Of course that was back in the days when few wore more than an UNFICYP or UNDOF, and CD.

I remember my articling student (a Naval Reserve officer) referring to the 1977 Jubilee as "the snivellers' medal" implying that if you whined to your CO enough you got put on the list. Of course that was back in the days when few wore more than an UNFICYP or UNDOF, and CD.

Well, I guess "the snivellers' medal" sounds better than what we call the Golden Jubilee medal in the armed forces. Canada decided to award it to people who had the longest time in rank, in other words, to people who hadn't been promoted in a looooooong time. We salute them with a hand to the forehead fingering the letter "L".

:rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Those who qualify that already possess a 2002 medal will receive a stitch-on bar.

No surprises if this was the case. The British Government confirmed yesterday that the Diamond Jubilee medal would be awarded to the Armed Services and the Police, Fire Brigade etc. No mention of a bar as yet but we shall see.

• 1 year later...

On 3 February 2011, Governor General David Johnston announced that the Queen had approved the creation of the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal.

I wonder when Her Majesty's other lands (including Britain) will follow and if their medals will look alike.

Long live the Queen!!!

If you follow what the Golden Jubilee medal was like, other than the addition of the Maple leaves and words 'Canada' the UK version will probably be identical to the above. The fact that a new ribbon is shown also indicates that it will probably not be a bar to those awarded the Golden Jubilee medal but a new medal for all that qualify.

Guest Darrell

IMHO a very attractive medal - and the face of the Queen has been nicely aged. I hope the British issue will be similar as Nick suggests.

That's what I noticed too Mervyn. Nice details for a change.

Hopefully these are Silver and not those Rhodium Plated monsters so often cranked out as of late.

Initially I didnt notice the maple leaves on the reverse, so the reverse design of the UK medal will probably be different, I do like the Queens image it has been very well done, shame if it changes for the UK as it is a very nice medal, but I would assume that the ribbons will be identical. Still no design or decisions made around who will qualify in the UK, but I am sure the military will be honoured en masse.

• 2 months later...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/06/06/queen-s-diamond-jubilee-medal-could-be-made-abroad-to-save-money-115875-23182452/

O tempora, o mores! :speechless1:

Made in PRC?

Edited by Lukasz Gaszewski

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the one side looks like a rock, as if awarded to palastinians for throwing stones...

But I see a positive trend on the other side....

Notice the early QE2 medals... the ratio of crown to head went from 1:4 to 1:3 to 1:2 to 2:1 and almost 3:1... until she looked like a shrunken head with a Soup Tureen on it...

Now suddenly we arer back at a sensible 1:2 ratio...

Maybe someone with a British Medal collection can do a thread showing the ratio over the years?