News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

E11R Diamond Jubilee 2012

• Replies 73
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I rather like it - and it is after all the 'Diamond Jubilee'. My critiscism would be that she looks a bit stern. Do we know anyone within our ranks who might receive one ?

Gentlemen

This is my first post as I have just joined today. I have a small collection of military, Police and Special Constable medals(in fact too many SC Long service medals) However regarding the above, I am due the QDJM next year as I am currently in service as a Special Constable in the Westcountry of 9 Years standing. As well as my own long service which I qualified on June this year, I have been informed by Avon & Somersets Specials Chief Officer that we are due next year with those with 5 years in at Feb 2012.

The finer details of entitlement to either a medal or clasp is one that I am interested in as I qualified for the QGJM in 2002 after being a TA soldier for 12 Years, which makes me wonder how complicated it can get in the attempt to save money. This brings up the question about Queens Silver Jubilee Medal in 1977 as no question of clasps were mentioned for the QGJM in 2002.

As more details falls down the communication line, I will post on.

The Diamond Jubilee medal has a different design and ribbon to the Golden Jubilee medal therefore i believe you cannot issue a clasp bar it has to be the medal. If they had kept the same ribbon and design but just changed the dates on the medal then a clasp would have been an option but they didn't so it is a new medal.

Re. the above comments about 'bar' type awards.

Here's an interesting fact (at least, I think so).

A former colleague of mine, now also retired, was a Superintendent in the police and also a long-standing crew member of a RNLI lifeboat.

He qualified for the Golden Jubilee Medal TWICE, i.e. once as a police officer and once as a lifeboatman.

He therefore received TWO Golden Jubilee Medals! Not a medal and a bar.

That makes an interesting display on his mounted medal array. :jumping:

Stephen - firstly, let me welcome you as a new member of GMIC - with your varied interests you will find lots to keep you occupied.

Please keep us up-to-date with any info on the new medal. I just noticed how many threads have been added - obviously of great interest to our members.

You have probably noticed that we have an active Police Forum - a few down from this one. Brian has a splendid post going on the Special Constabulary

- again, one that has a phenomenal viewership - I am sure you will be able to make good contributions. I have mentioned before, I think it is the Specials who really appreciate our Police Forces and contribute heavily. Sometimes really rare old items are added and are lucky to get just a few replies. I'm sure we will all look forward to hearing more from you. Mervyn

Stephen - firstly, let me welcome you as a new member of GMIC - with your varied interests you will find lots to keep you occupied.

Please keep us up-to-date with any info on the new medal. I just noticed how many threads have been added - obviously of great interest to our members.

You have probably noticed that we have an active Police Forum - a few down from this one. Brian has a splendid post going on the Special Constabulary

- again, one that has a phenomenal viewership - I am sure you will be able to make good contributions. I have mentioned before, I think it is the Specials who really appreciate our Police Forces and contribute heavily. Sometimes really rare old items are added and are lucky to get just a few replies. I'm sure we will all look forward to hearing more from you. Mervyn

Sir

Thank you for the warm welcome to the club. I have a strong interest in GB Medals /Military and the "story of the man behind the medal" as a small time collector who likes to look after medals as a short term custodian of historic examples. I do not hope to financially gain vast amounts of money in my hobby but would like to trade up for more rare examples. Once I am a bit more organised I will post up some of my collection from WWI WWII Territorial EM,ISM,PLSGC,GSM and also Special Constable Faithful Service of all monarch heads.(x23 examples).

Stephen - we shall look forward to seeing your posts when you are ready. Meanwhile, only the Chairman gets the occasional 'Sir' ! Brian and I have responsibility for the British forums - we didn't move quickly enough........

Got notifcation today from The Yard telling us that The Diamond Jubilee Medal will be awarded to Metropolitan Police officers with more than 5 years service in February 2012. woooohooooo 3 gongs!

Robin - as a retired senior officer is there a possibility you might get the new medal ? Get someone to write to the Honours Dept. and recommend you - it would look good with your others...... Mervyn

NO CHANCE !!!!! :speechless:

Anyway .............. 'Two's company, three's a crowd!' :cheeky:

Updated critaria for the Medal

Eligibility for The Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medal

The following people will be eligible for The Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medal:

• members of the Armed Forces (regular and reserves) who have completed five full calendar years of service on 6 February 2012
    • emergency services personnel who have been in paid service, retained or in a voluntary capacity, who have to face the prospect of dealing with emergencies as part of their conditions of service, and have completed five full calendar years of service on 6 February 2012
    • operational prison services personnel who regularly face difficult and sometimes emergency situations and have completed five full calendar years of service on 6 February 2012
    • all Police Community Support Officers (PCSOs) who are in service on 6 February 2012 and have completed five full calendar years of service
    • living holders of the Victoria Cross and George Cross
    • members of the Royal Household

The operative word is - have been - surely that makes retired officers with the required length of service eligible ?

............ good try, Mervyn.

But I think they would argue that the following no longer applies to us old codgers .............

....."who have to face the prospect of dealing with emergencies as part of their conditions of service" .......

I no longer have to face anything! :cheers:

Edited by Robin Lumsden

Hi Gents

Just got my head round resizing pictures. See attached my VRSM and QGJM awarded in 2001 and 2002 whilst I was wearing green kit as a Cpl RE. The VRSM had just came in 1999 to take over the the Efficiency Medal EM, however I had been given a chance to opt for the EM but I decided to go for the new one. The QGJM is for 5 years in by Feb 2002.

As I am now a Special with 9 years in the QDJM is also in the bag and I will attach in due course. I have further items of Police to add on in due course.

See you all in a bit

Stephen

• 4 months later...