News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi - Alex. Another good album - although I preferred the first one, perhaps more general pictures. Most of these are clearly marked and are self explanatory - so, I will only comment on a few.

Pic.2. What a lovely picture of the British in action - table set with tin cups & a tablecloth and on a table that would have been looted from a Boer farm. Two pictures show a crowned crane - obviously a pet - however, I'm not sure if it is, or, perhaps a ground bustard. Will put a picture on and you can decide.

3. Strange how so many officers in those days , used to take their dog with them. This one is in nearly every photo with the major. A lovely Pointer dog.

11. This is a great photo of the Troop watering their horses. For it's age very clear.

13. Two photos show officers returning from hunting. They are holding Impalas , which are very plentiful.

13a. Damant's Horse - the picture shows Capt. Cameron as the commander of this unit. They were formed in Jan. 1901 and Major Damant was the C.O. - they were often known as Damant's 'Tigers'. The leopard skin band shown on Cameron's hat was taken from the original unit Rimington's Guides. About 300 in strength.

16. Could the figure on the left be Smuts ? About the right height and he always dressed well.

17. This photo - and 16 - are probably the two most valuable.

19. Johannesburg was only formed in 1884, so to find a thriving racecourse in 1902 - and during a war, is quite strange. It is probably the one known as Turfontein today.

24. Unless you have a family member with the initials 'IY' this could stand for Imperial Yeomanry. Good action shot for it's day as he goes 'over the top' !

Are you sure other family members aren't holding out on you with further albums ?

( I think it is a crowned crane.)

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

Hi - Alex. Another good album - although I preferred the first one, perhaps more general pictures. Most of these are clearly marked and are self explanatory - so, I will only comment on a few.

Pic.2. What a lovely picture of the British in action - table set with tin cups & a tablecloth and on a table that would have been looted from a Boer farm. Two pictures show a crowned crane - obviously a pet - however, I'm not sure if it is, or, perhaps a ground bustard. Will put a picture on and you can decide.

3. Strange how so many officers in those days , used to take their dog with them. This one is in nearly every photo with the major. A lovely Pointer dog.

11. This is a great photo of the Troop watering their horses. For it's age very clear.

13. Two photos show officers returning from hunting. They are holding Impalas , which are very plentiful.

13a. Damant's Horse - the picture shows Capt. Cameron as the commander of this unit. They were formed in Jan. 1901 and Major Damant was the C.O. - they were often known as Damant's 'Tigers'. The leopard skin band shown on Cameron's hat was taken from the original unit Rimington's Guides. About 300 in strength.

16. Could the figure on the left be Smuts ? About the right height and he always dressed well.

17. This photo - and 16 - are probably the two most valuable.

19. Johannesburg was only formed in 1884, so to find a thriving racecourse in 1902 - and during a war, is quite strange. It is probably the one known as Turfontein today.

24. Unless you have a family member with the initials 'IY' this could stand for Imperial Yeomanry. Good action shot for it's day as he goes 'over the top' !

Are you sure other family members aren't holding out on you with further albums ?

( I think it is a crowned crane.)

Thanks again for the interesting feedback Mervyn. I really like the breakfast shot too. Not sure about the bird, but I would go with the crane myself - seems like an unusual pet, but then I guess they were not normal times! With regard to shot no. 24, definitely no I.Y.'s in my family.

As for more albums, I don't think there are any more Boer albums. A few others, inc some of India, and I have some glass slides from Palestine in WW1, but I've got to figure out how to get them on here - I've had a go with my scanner, but not much success so far.

Cheers

Alex

• 2 months later...

Alex

Just adding my appreciation to a truly OUTSTANDING set of photo albums. Rawlinson is I presume the same general who masterminded the early phase of the Somme in 1916. It is certainly a valuable, and quite historically important, set. IY is definitely Imperial Yeomanry btw, and is there perhaps a note of amusement at their greenness in the caption? Interesting too to see so many early "pointy" Wolseley helmets being worn by the officers.

Somewhere out there are the descendants of those men. I imagine they would be quite thrilled to see those photos.

Regards,

W.