News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The national defence medal (France)

Chris Boonzaier

No. In fact I believe the private makers can still (and still) produce the medal... but only according to the official design. That seems logical, after all.

Ch.

I am not sure if they make them themselves.

I called Arthus Bertrands shop in Pare and asked for the medal above (On the French forum they said it was made by Bertrand)

Bertrand (Who are makers) said they were supplied with these by th Paris mint...

• 4 weeks later...

I found a nice matt bronze one of these as well...

Seems a desinger name is also on it... cannot read it though..

It's not a designer name. It says "D'APRES RUDE" or "after Rude", meaning the design follows Fran?ois Rude's sculpture of La Marseillaise on the Arc de Triomphe:

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, please, can anyone explain this medal. There was an effort, only partially successful, in the JOMSA some time back and while it sparked my interest it untimately just confused me more. We need more on French medals! Please....

Finally ran across that article: Vicken Koundakjian, "The French National Defense Medal," Journal of the Orders and Medals Society of America 42, 10 (October 1991): 28-30.

Vicken gave some details regarding where things stood at the time of creation of this medal (1982) up through the time he wrote (with some pretty muddy illustrations). His details on the clasps are vague, but he lists 36 of them (3 geographical, 12 army specialization, 7 navy specialization, 7 air force specialization, and 7 general). He notes the existence of the Foreign Legion clasp, but had no information on any authorising authority for it.

FYI.