News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Napoleonic Documents

Bear

Guest Rick Research

At least the handwriting is quite clear and legible.

Can you tell who WROTE it? Is there actually a name, or will this have to be deduced from "My Captain Soandso told me..."

???

• Replies 358
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Rick Research

"It ends with the officer receiving the L?gion d'honneur by his Majesty."

AHA!!! :Cat-Scratch: THAT sounds like a clue-- right? You've got the regiment and the month and year. Isn't there a list of Legions of Honor recipients?

I've got a (1958) list of the recipients of the 1811+ Imperial Order of the Reunion, for instance.

Looking at this morning I'm not sure whats going on the last paragraph. Maybe a list of dead officers being awarded the L?gion d'honneur.

I've spent hours on other documents trying to translate just one sentence. :banger:

Guest Rick Research

16-18) In camp to rest the men and horses but with great privations because the villages were entirely devastated. General St. Sulpice replaced by General St. Germain. Billeted in Hauskirchen, C?tz, Nestelbach. In glorious testimony of the regiment's part in the campaign of 1809 the Emperor bestowed 20 Legions of Honor.

Thanks Rick

I found some info on the 5e.

It had 4 squadrons and a total of 792 cuirassiers in 1809.

4 squadrons = 8 companies (1 captain per company)

so we have 8 captains in the 5e

Uniform - blue coats, white breeches, orange cuffs & collars

As for officers I have only found the names of colonels on up.

Edited by Bear

• 2 weeks later...

DREAD GOD.

The Seal(1796) of James Monroe(1758 - 1831)

Fifth President of the United States who negotiated the Louisiana Purchase and promulgated the Monroe Doctrine. During the American Revolution Monroe served as a 2nd Lt. in the 3rd Virginia. He would be wounded at the Battle of Trenton.

Notice the Eagle holding an Olive Branch and Arrows.

The document is here: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=36560

Searching the internet I found that 'Dread God' is the motto for the Munro Clan.

wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Munro

Clan Munro is a Highland Scottish clan. The clan name, Munro or Rothach, Roich, or Mac an Rothaich in Gaelic means Ro - Man or Man from Ro. This supports the tradition that the clan was originally from the River Ro in Ireland.

• 4 weeks later...

Barry,

Check out this (google e-)book which is on-line at

http://books.google.com/books?id=MZAYAAAAM...fox-a#PPA275,M1

Then go to page 275. Lo and beholdeth there, a list of the 5e. Cuir engagements during the 1809 campaign.

:cheers:

Les

Hi Bear,

That is indeed a lovely find. Your French sounds about like mine. If you ever get it fully translated, I would love a peek. I checked in Digby Smith's "Napoleon's Regiments" and did not find anything of note re your guy. You need an in with a researcher at Vincennes!

All the best,

Jaybo

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I haven't purchased any documents in a while due to the price of the euro. However I got some new ones the other other day.

thanks,

barry

Augereau, Charles Pierre François (1757-1816). Marshal, Duke of Castiglione: Retirement Request for François PIFLER with signed approval by Augereau. Italy, 1795-1797.

• 3 weeks later...

last one...

Very cool documents, Bear. I have been thinking of acquiring letters of a Marshal or two (not much wall space left per the wife's instructions!). I tried sevral years ago to purchase a letter by Colonel d'Hery of the 5eme Hussards but was beaten to the punch. I used to subscribe to Jean-Marc Agotani's catalogues for several years. He has quite the inventory (he must have an 'in' at Vincennes!). He is located in Marseille and unfortunately doesn't have a website. Other than him, I wouldn't know where to begin.

Happy New Year

Jay