News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Napoleonic Documents

Bear

• Replies 358
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Barry:

Those are beautifully done. :love::love::love: I love clipped signatures, too. I have a framed signature with a 19th Century print of John Jay, first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, in my office. It gets a lot of attention.

Thanks for sharing. Have you ever checked out "Profiles in History"? Expensive, but they have some amazing documents and autographs. Napoleonic items come up fairly regularly.

Chris

Hello,

They do look nice on the wall. I'm looking to buy my next document and I've found one by Marshal Berthier during the Egypt campaign, but I also have my eye on a Napoleon document with a connection to the United States. :beer:

thanks,

barry

On July 10, 1799 Suchet was made general de division and chief of staff to General Joubert. During the Battle of Novi(August 15, 1799), Joubert was mortally wounded and Suchet took over his command.

On September 26, 1799 the second Battle of Zurich was being fought between Marshal Massena and Russian Field Marshal Surarov(Russia/Austria). During this time Suchet was General de Division, chef de l'Etat major general of the Army of Italy.

Marshal Massena won the Battle of Zurich after Surarov split his army in order to cut off Massena's line of retreat. However Massena rounded on one of the two armies that was being commanded by General Alexander Karsakov smashing the Russians causing 8,000 casualties. Massena then turened on Surarov inflicting over 14,000 casualties. Massena's victory destroyed Surarov's reputation and Russian withdrew from the Second Coalition.

Suchet's Decorations

Having Found, Citizen, that your name was not included in the list of Couriers attached to the General Headquarters, I hereby inform you that in accordance with the decision of the Commander in Chief you will receive remuneration for this month of Vendemiare. With regard to this matter I am writing to the Paymaster-General directing him to give the neccessary orders so that this payment be made without any obstacle or delay.

At the same time I have the pleasure to inform you that the Chief of Staff, who is satisfied(as well asI am), with your services, devotion and zeal, has indicated that your dismissal was due only to the fact that there are too many Couriers in the Army. You are free to seek other employment of this nature if the opportunity arises.

Should this be impossible, a passport will be given to you together with the sum of 2 francs 50 centimes so you can reach Tyrol.

SUCHET

In the name of Law and the Loyalty of the French People.

It is forbidden to any militaryman and to any other persons to indulge into any excess or violence towards baillif Weiss, living at Berg Naseau.

Whoever will dare to make an attempt to the persons or the properties will be indicted to the War Council, and punished exemplarily. Pillage is prohibited; he that will make himself guilty of that, will be considered an enemy of the Republic, and repressed in consequence.

Edited by Bear