News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

United Nations Police

• Replies 78
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Similar, infereior quality, private purchase "UNPOL" breast shield worn in UNMISET (United Nations Mission in Support of East Timor).

A one piece badge, t has a gold chrome like finish, the scrolls being siver coloured, the light blue of the central device & the black lettering being painted:

Insignia produced in totally different styles in different parts of the world, bearing in mind of course that so much is private purchase.

Some insignia in East Timor was / is painted on thin brass sheet, with a brooch pin glued to the back - eg a sheld shaped UNMO (United Nations Miltary Observer) badge that I have.

And some of the cloth looks a bit "strange", eg the bhue thread & bullion UN beret badge, & the for some reason blue & gold instead of white & gold version of the UN metal beret badge.

Some UN police looked like christmas trees, covered in brghtly coloured insigna, & there's a tendency to wear the insgnia that your mate in a different nations police service wears.

In Bosnia at least one British police officer got his hands on the large metal US police "shields", gold coloured with UN & US flags, & wore it with the Stars & Stripes repanted as the Union Flag.

• 3 weeks later...

Leigh - I think this enamel shoulder title would fall under your heading. I think it must be Denmark and it was for the handing over of South West Afica to become Namibia. Helpfully, the badge shows where Namibia is. The diamond is because it is one of the main areas for them. They can be found on some beaches - which is why they shoot you if you go near them.....

• 8 months later...

An interesting patch - Leigh has the great interest in these UN ones and will be pleased to see your post. I'm trying to work out it's meaning ? The sword is the weighing balance and in one pan it looks like a 'loaf of bread' and in the other a 'genie's lamp' ? I have probably got it quite wrong - but, if I'm right - what on Earth does that represent ?

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a RUSBAT 1 badge which I have had for awhile. I'm not sure if it is an authorized or unauthoized badge. It is 2-1/2 in. wide, 1-3/4 in high and has a screw back. It has Sector East in yellow above the parachute canopy and I have seen it in black also. Does anyone know why the different colors? The only information I have on it is that it was for the UN Peacekeeping Forces in Bosnia. If anyone has any more information, please post.

Bob

post-4096-000440300 1288817052_thumb.jpg

post-4096-041175000 1288817073_thumb.jpg

Bmsm,

Just wondering why you think that this is a POLICE badge, peacekeeping forces are generally the Military with the Police being involved with the Training of Local Police Forces.

There is nothing on the design that suggests Police. Would think but just guessing that RUSBAT is an abreviation for RUSSIA BATTALION, don't know of the term being used by the Police.

Just my two cents worth.

Best Regards,

Les

Bmsm,

Just wondering why you think that this is a POLICE badge, peacekeeping forces are generally the Military with the Police being involved with the Training of Local Police Forces.

There is nothing on the design that suggests Police. Would think but just guessing that RUSBAT is an abreviation for RUSSIA BATTALION, don't know of the term being used by the Police.

Just my two cents worth.

Best Regards,

Les

Les,

I had thought about not posting the badge but thought others might enjoy it. Yet, it is still a UN badge whether official or unofficial. Even though it is a military badge the troops are a peacekeeping unit. If the moderator doesn't think this is the right topic for the badge to be in than he can remove it.

Bob

Bob - I think Les was quite right to point out that the Russian Unit is probably not a Police one - however, they were all basically serving as peace keepers and performing police duties of keeping good order and separating the opposing forces. My enamel shoulder patch for Namibia falls under the same criteria - in all probability the Danes were troops. I hope someone who was there at the time will pick-up on this and be able to say what they did ? Certainly, I think you have put this in the right place for discussion. Mervyn

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

• 2 weeks later...

John,

I would like to echo Mervyn's words and welcome you to the forum. You don't have to upgrade your membership to post photos. There are restrictions on the size of a photo that a new member can post. If you look through the information at the top of the forum when you first log on you should be able to find that information. I can not remember the size restrictions myself.

Regards,

Gordon

Thank You Leigh and Gordon, here is a small portion of my U.N badges. These as I have learned would have been worn from pocket hangers "French Style" This group would be from the period of 1970- 1980's or so in the mideast. Please excuse the glare. Best John

post-10860-045088200 1290356049_thumb.jp

Hi Irish,

Nice collection of UN pocket badges.

It's difficult to tell ,but which ones are for Police Units ?

Is the little gold badge applied to the Senegal, Ghana, Indonesia and Chad badges the UN badge ?

Look forward to seeing more photos of your collection , especially cloth Police Insignias.

Best Regards,

Les

Yes the small gold emblems on the badges mentioned is the U.N. symbol. I veared off of the this thread topic by showing general U.N. pieces, I will try and keep my posts focused on Police items.

Best

John