Brazil WW2 air force eagle - identification needed

In 1940 my late father-in-law enlisted in the US Army Air Corps, and during World War Two was stationed in Brazil. Among his documents and insignia is the following eagle with the national crest of Brazil. Your identification and comments are appreciated.

In 1940 my late father-in-law enlisted in the US Army Air Corps, and during World War Two was stationed in Brazil. Among his documents and insignia is the following eagle with the national crest of Brazil. A name is scratched onto the back which I am unable to read. Your identification and comments are appreciated.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

This is an Army pilot badge, from 30's untill 1941, when the Air Force was created as a Force separated from the Army. The pilots had to decide if they would join in the brand new force or continue in the Army.

Nice badge.

Julio

Donald,

Simply a nice early Brazilian pilot badge. I believe it is a 1930s model (have not had clear regulations to tell you exactly when your model was current.) The standard WWII model was a more tradition "wing" without the hanging device.

This is the 1941-1947 Air Force Badge.

Julio,

Do you have copies of Brazilian insignia regulations? I would love copies if you do.

What happened in 1947? Is that when they added the banner to the bottom of the pilot wing? When was the pilot engineer wing (the one with the gear attached as a hanger) regulation?

Thanks,

Tod

Hello Tod, exactly. In 1947 was added a subtitle at the bottom os the clasp, ESTADOS UNIDOS DO BRASIL. This model last until 1954, when the name of the country changed to Republica Federativa do Brasil.

This wing you are talking about is a 1941 model too. I do not have the regulation, but I have a 1942 advertisement of the Brazilian Air Force to brazilian peolpe, explaining the brand new force and its clasps, uniforms, etc.

Soon I will start a thread about the 1941 and so on wings. I have almost all of them :cheeky:

Cheers.

Julio

Julio,

That would be fantastic. Any uniform guides, ads, dated pics of pilots etc would be very, very helpful as historical evidence. I am excited to see your collection. I am wondering if you could help me find some missing pieces of my own collection. I will send pics and such.

cheers,

Tod

As I promised, here a 1942 Government Propaganda about the brand new Brazilian Air Force

It´s called A NOSSA AVIAÇÃO, or Our aviation.

bc3tk.jpg

358757p.jpg

35ba7vl.jpg

And here are the only 5 brazilian clasps of the WW2 period.

3499qg5.jpg

From left to roght, top to bottom

- Pilot

- Photographer

- Weapon's mechanic

- Radio's mechanic

- Airplane mechanic

At this time, pilots could be officers and sargeants. But in WW2, only Officers were pilots on the Senta a Púa Squadron (Part od 350th Fighter Group/12th Air Force), on Italian Campaign.

Of course Tod, send me an e-mail. But I have to tell you that these pieces are very hard to find.

Cheers.

Julio

Tod, by the way, I loved your website.

The main focus of my collection is Brazilian Expetditionary Force stuffs, but I do collect Air Force and Navy ww2 related stuffs too.

If you want to see a little bit of my collection, please check this out: http://museuvirtualfeb.blogspot.com.br/

See you.

Julio

Lets try

From left to right, top to bottom

1941 visor cap Officer`s insignia

1941 II II Sargeant II

1941 II II Soldier II

1941 II II Soldier II (non Official model)

ECEMAR insignia (High Studies and Command of the Air Force) date not known

2 archs - used only in WW2, by all members in Italy - more than 500

2 pilot`s clasp - 1941-1947 model

Radio mechanic clasp 1941-47 model

1941 first lieutenant collar insignia

1947 II II II II

Officer`s tunic button - date not known

airplane mechanic clasp - 1941-47 model

photographer clasp - 1947

Navy Pilot - date not known

See you

Julio