• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Modified grenade launcher used by the Garde-Reserve-Pionier-Regiment. It had lightening holes cut in the base, and the steel base plate was eliminated. This cut the weight in half. Note the carrying frame made of wood.

Edited by Thomas W

The entire flamethrower-pioneer rig for the Granatenwerfer 16, from left to right:

a. crate containing 12 grenades, with a sandbag on a sling lying on top of the crate;

b. grenade launcher in its wooden carrying frame; the pole leaning on the case is used to adjust the grenade launcher by pushing or pulling it along the ground;

c. the launcher base plate, which has been severely chopped down in order to reduce weight.

Each platoon of the Garde-Reserve-Pionier-Regiment was armed with one grenade launcher, for a total of three per company and 12 per regiment.

Edited by Thomas W

Weird photo that shows a grenade launcher on the right and its base plate in the foreground, with German and French helmets, ammo boxes and drums for the MG 08/15, a small propellant tank for flamethrowers, some kind of hose with an attachment on the end, and some kind of machinery with a framework made of metal rods. The handwritten message on the back says "Destroyed German machine-gun nest," but I don't know...

Photo taken from an album compiled by an officer in the American Field Service, the volunteer ambulance drivers who served in France. The handwritten caption on the back says "Percy Wannamaker and a French torpille (pronounced 'torpil.'). I took this in front of our second post at Constantine."

Actually, it's a German Wurfgranate 16, for the grenade launcher we're discussing...

Am working on a page with irish gunner... thought I would give a little pic preview... all in legal condition for country of residence....

You should have posted these for me sooner, Chris. Seeing the real thing really helps make sense of the firing procedure.:catjava:

After I wrote the draft, I went back to look at the original photos at the beginning of this thread; after getting into the details of the weapon, the photos really came to life.