News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Granatwerfer 16 and Minenwerfer

Hi,

here a link to the Handbuch for Granatwerfer 16 (PDF-file, 14 pages):

http://www.sendspace.com/file/chhin6

(click on: "Download Link: GranatWerfer16small.pdf")

Best regards and a Happy New Year, :cheers:

Jens

p.s.: if you need the manuel in a higher resolution, send me a message. ;)

Edited by KIR

• 1 month later...
    • Replies 129
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris, have you read about this tactic for the granatenwerfer anywhere else? "Cunning" is right if this is accurate...

The Germans used the Granatenwerfer very cunningly at Verdun: as the sound was so well-known, the French knew the sound of the incoming projectiles only too well, they stayed put in their shelters when the heard the noice, even though the enemy was very close, knowing full well that due to the deadly nature of the grenades, the German couldn’t get up out of their trenches to attack before the whirring “turtledoves” had impacted. What the German did in at least one attack, was to fire the grenades without their fuses, which meant that they could start their sprint towards the French trenches at the moment the grenades were fired, and even reach them at the instant that the grenades went harmlessly PLOP into the mud.

From this website: http://www.landships.freeservers.com/granatenwerfer16_walkaround.htm

• 9 months later...
    • 8 months later...
    • 4 weeks later...

Chris,

That photo of the inside of the box is the only one I took when I had it. The rectangular stick in the back there is a bubble level. It came with the box I had, but I could never quite figure out where it went. There was also a small box that held the spare firing pins, and various sizes of springs. One of the vacant spots you see there on the left was for an oil can. You can just barely see the pull handle and cord at the bottom. I wish now that I had taken more photos of the inside bottom of the box, instead of concentrating on the outside and the markings in the lid.

Chip

• 1 month later...
    • 1 year later...

From the Militray Passport of Pionier Gustav Zipf of 3. Komp.Pionier Btl. 28 (1. Garde-Reserve-Division)

He received training in hand grenade throwing and was trained on the Granatwefer 16.

The training with the Granatwerfer 16 took place in September 1917 at 2./Bayer. Pionier-Feldrekruten-Depot 6 in Saint Amand (France)

In 1918 Pionier Zipf was awarded the Iron Cross II.

Edited by Naxos

• 3 months later...
    • 4 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...

Chris thanks that is great on the tools but I am actually trying to identify any specific 'minen' oil/ jelly/grease cans. i bought an ammo box and there was included lots of different cans. It maybe that they are not MG specific.

Mark

• 4 months later...

Still hoping to identify my assortment of oil cans etc. If they are not MG then they will be available for trade/sale. Of cse any good self respecting machine gunner might keep his 'favourite' oil/jelly can for MG use, whatever its origin, but I need to stick to issue MG material.

Thanks

Mark

• 6 months later...

Gents

I'd appreciate comments on the straps one clamp has three separate numbers on different components so I don't see them as dates 044 045 & 047,,,clips are spring loaded that snap shut, straps are made from hemp..

The shovel is a type used by mortar crews its different better heavier made with an ash wood shaft than latter TR examples.

Cheers

Eric

I can't see one of these straps in the attached photo. I can see what appear to be the usual gasmask can straps but nothing larger than that. Also, I believe these are some kind of Finnish strap from the WWII period. I got one many years ago on spec that it was German, WWI, and possibly MG-related. Jeff Noll (author - Imperial German Regimental Marking) knows what these are.