News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Post you Police Uniforms

Sorry,

It looks like a nice original Gendarmerie tunic, with Fire Department tabs and a reproduction eagle. A VERY bad put together uniform, ruining a nice Gend tunic.

W.Unland

Edited by W.Unland

• Replies 83
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the reply William,

Its a pity the jacket has been tampered with. The seller has two other items to sell - Polizei Jacket & Polizei Mantel, I had hoped to get at least one of the pieces on offer - The last one, was the one I preferred, its deflated me - do the these other two on offer, look as though they have been tampered with ?

Best Wishes

Hello,

The reserve 1st lieutenant of Schutzpolizei tunic and overcoat for a SchPo nco both look OK.

The tunic will require an officer's bullion eagle and a pair of officer's tabs to restore.

The overcoat has a shadow of a cufftitle on the right sleeve. VERY odd. There were no cufftitles authorized for the police worn there. It also has the green collar, which is "OK" for late war overcoats, but I would prefer the M36 coat with brown collar if I were buying.

In short, if offered to me I would be interested in the Lt.'s tunic, but only if the price were right. A good eagle and tabs are going to cost another 300 Euro to complete it.

Good luck,

W.Unland

Edited by W.Unland

Hello William,

Thanks for your extra information. I've a little spare time at the moment and have just read your excellent threads covering Police Eagle Pattens & Branch Colours, I realize now, I'd been better served, to have absorbed them first, rather than have dived right in.

Getting back to the uniform pictures I posted, your view that I'd need to spend a further 300 Euro on the Schutzpolizei tunic to bring it up scratch i.e. standard issue tunic, leaves me unenthusiastic in pursuing the matter any further. I think, I shall possibly, after looking first at the auction jacket on offer, go after the Meister der Schutzpolizei jacket.

One thing which I'm unclear about, which you may have a opinion on - my understanding is - its acceptable to replaced missing patches, insignia, etc on uniforms. Is it possible to take jackets, uniform with moth holes or tears to bespoke tailors and have them invisibly mended - Yes / No?

Thanks again William for your help.

Best Wishes

Alec

Hello,

In my opinion, and it is just MY opinion it is acceptable to restore original insignia to tunics. I am convinced that MOST tunics were de-nazified after the war so restoration is acceptable to me.

As far as repairing moth holes etc. I personally see no problem with that, although reweaving can be very expensive.

In my humble opinion returning any tunic to it's original configuration is OK, but that is my opinion.

Good luck,

W.Unland

Edited by W.Unland

Hi William,

Your opinion on restoring uniforms & tunics seems very much in line with the common wisdom in the military collecting circles here. I thought I ask, and get a anglo-saxon slant on things.

Regards

Alec

Concerning the comment on the right cuff of the overcoat appearing to show the remains of a sleeve band or cuff title. I have a copy of John Angolia's book on the German Police. Vol 2 page 119 displays a police officer in greatcoat displaying a sleeve cuff on both arms. These are illegible but it is the brown collar pattern coat.

Sid

Dear Paul,

Yes red and gray, or later plain gray was indicative of the Verwaltungspolizei, or the administrative branch.

Dear Sid,

Sorry I don't have the cited book available. As far as cufftitles go, the only two I know of authorized for CIVIL police wear were the Motorized Genderm and Werhmacht cuffs, which to my knowledge were worn on the lower LEFT sleeve of the tunic. I suppose a COMBAT assigned cop could have had a service related cufftitle on the right sleeve, but it would not have been police related.

W.Unland

Edited by W.Unland

• 2 months later...

Hello William,

Friday, I was at the military fair Reichertshofen, Bavaria, one of the things I bought is the Gendermerie Mantel - Overcoat shown, considering its age, the condition is very good, no tears, repairs and a fully intact lining, one thing it doesn't have is a maker's label. I think it kosher, do you see any issues with it ? if you need more photos let me know.

Cheers

Hello Bill,

Thanks for your post and the vote of confidence in the coat. Without trying to sound paranoid - I want too keep the coat in the best possible condition, I intend keeping it, in a zip up transparent plastic cover and putting mothballs in the pockets, but I'm concerned about the smell associated with mothballs. Do you protect your uniforms along these lines or is my thinking a bit old fashioned.

Best Wishes

Alec

Believe me, the smell will go away, big moth bites will not. I use some bags they have here in Japan that have the repellent in the paper like material of the bag. No smell, but that's here not there. Most important is to air them outside on nice sunny dry days. Keeps the mildew away. Moth larvae are really tough if you get them so best to keep the moths away in the first place with a repellent.

Bill U

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the advice, I've bought moth repellent strips and packed the great coat, strips, and sealed them into a plastic transparent cover, the strips are good for six months, everything's in hand till the summer comes.

Best Wishes

Alec

• 2 years later...

Hello. I realize that this form has been inactive for almost 3 years, so this is a long shot. But you guys seem to really know your uniforms. I have only one picture of my great-grandfather in WWII. It is not the best quality, but I have gotten really close to at least finding out his part of the war, though I know nothing else about him. Does anyone here recongnize this uniform and can you tell me anything about it? I've gotten as far as military police. He died in the war and not even my grandmother know much about her own father. I have heard many stories, including him being a member of the SS, but I want to find out the truth.

Thank you in advance!

Sam

Hi,

seems to have served in WW1 as well, got at least the Iron Cross 2nd class in WW1, and a clasp for it as it was awarded again to him in WW2. he also has the Iron Cross 1st class, hard to see if it was WW1 or WW2, I will go out on a limb and say WW1.

The wound badge looks to be (out on a limb again) a WW1 Wound badge.

Do you have any other photos of him?

Hello, Your grandfather seems to have been an officer in the luftschutzpolizei, which was the rescue and air raid service of the police. Many whom were too old or disabled from military service ended up in the LSP. Most members were on in years. The uniform was Luftwaffe gray but with a police sleeve eagle. Regards, William Unland

Bill, would he have been in a position to have been awarded the clasp to his EK2 as a member of the LSP?
    Probably not. I think he was awarded it as a member of the military or police, probably police, but was sent over to supervise the old guys in the LSP when he got too old or disabled. Regards, Bill U

• 3 weeks later...