News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Award Documents with interesting extras

Dieter3

I was able to get three award documents given to the same soldier, Sacred Treasure 8th class, Manchurian Incident, and China Incident. The seller had broken them up, I guess to try and make some more ducats, and did one of those cover the name things in the pics, but it was pretty obvious they were to the same soldier. (I really hate that, but I understand why sellers do it, it's business after all.) Anyway, wouldn't have normally bought them like that, but did as they included some interesting extras:

Here's a news article detailing the exploits of the soldier in China, so that was a cool extra, gives things a bit more context really. I guess the family had kept the article. That's the soldier in the picture. The newspaper portion isn't in great shape, but I've seen worse, I need to begin preservation. The propaganda cartoon came with the Manchurian Incident document, but I don't believe it has any connection to the soldier, but came with it for whatever reason. Apparently trying to convince the Chinese to surrender to the Japanese. Sacred Treasure doc. was stand alone, but I really didn't want to see it parted from the other two. No idea if this fellow had earned any other awards (I bet he did), and unfortunately I have no idea what happened to the awards themselves, guessing they were sold separately and I missed out, or they were lost, perhaps kept by the family, who knows. Anyway, enjoy!

Article.jpg

CartoonLow.jpg

It is unfortunate when groups are broken up, and it happens more often than not. Yeah, business is business, but it's too bad there isn't a bit more respect for the historical aspect. I collect Japanese bayonets too and some sellers part the bayonets and the scabbards in an attempt to make more money by selling separately. Totally lame. angry.gif I've also observed several instances of the opposite, of sellers putting items together, medals and documents clearly acquired separately then resold as a "match". sleep.gif