News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cuban Military Ranks from 1991 to now

pride

After the the dissolution of the Warsaw-Pact Cuba's FAR ranks returned to the bar system but stars remained for First Officers and superiors.

Today the type of grades for the classes are the same as in the 30s and 40s.

Nowadays the ranks system is an hybrid of all the time because the bars are adopted again. Designation is similar to the original but incorporates elements of the Soviet era (as the background of the general grades).

Here:

The Classes are: Cabo, Sargento de Tercera, de Segunda y de Primera

Edited by pride

Los suboficiales de la MGR: suboficial, suboficial de 2ª y suboficial de 1ª

Los subalternos de la MGR: alferez, teniente de corbeta, teniente de fragata y teniente de navío.

Los primeros oficiales de la MGR: capitán de corbeta, capitán de fragata y capitán de navío.

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: I did not realize Cuban insignia HAD changed (see how little we know, to the north? :whistle: )-- their same old ideology remains!

I believe the Soviet-like uniforms and insignia were adopted in Cuba in 1970s (according to my information by "Ley No. 1315 sobre el sistema de grados militares de las FAR, de la República de Cuba" of November 23, 1976) but they might be in use some time before. I remember in 1981, being in what was then called Leningrad and now is back St. Petersburg I was on the tram with I thought a Soviet Army captain. Only upon a closer examination I found to my surprise that the insignia on his peaked cap were not Soviet. He explained that he was Cuban. Except the coat of arms on the cap, his uniform was identical to what Soviet officers wore at that time!

Below is the chart of what FAR ranks looked like before the Soviet pattern was adopted.

cu-76.jpg

Btw: I am interested in the rank of "Comandante de la revolución". Who held/holds it? I know that the rank of Comandante en Jefe is reserved to Fidel, while Raul is a General de Ejército (I think the only one).

Slightly off-topic: does anybody know what the ranks of pre-Castro era looked like?

Edited by Lukasz Gaszewski

Hi Lukasz,

Btw: I am interested in the rank of "Comandante de la revolución". Who held/holds it? I know that the rank of Comandante en Jefe is reserved to Fidel, while Raul is a General de Ejército (I think the only one).

this is the answer, help me to translate in a correct english:

Debo aclarar que aunque el grado de Comandante en Jefe esta vinculado historicamente con Fidel Castro, este legalmente pertenece al jefe de estado (presidente de los Consejos de Estado y de Ministros) por lo que debía haber pasado a Raúl Castro, pero la Asamblea Nacional decidió no aceptar esa renuncia y Fidel sigue siendo el Comandante en Jefe, al menos simblicamente ya que de otra forma significaria la separacion del grado militar del cargo politico.

He aquí la prueba en la renuncia de Fidel:

"Les comunico que no aspiraré ni aceptaré -repito- no aspiraré ni aceptaré, el cargo de presidente del Consejo de Estado y Comandante en Jefe"

En Cuba el rango de Comandante en Jefe tiene asociado un grado militar lo que lo hace permanente y vinculado simbólicamente a la figura de Fidel Castro. Es sin dudas algo inusual porque en la actualidad Raúl Castro es el jefe del estado y a la vez el jefe ejército.