News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

here we have a nice photograph of a soldier from Pionier Bataillon Nr.12 in Pirna / Sachsen - but what exactly is that medal? The medal looks for me like the Sachsen-Meiningen Lebensrettungs-Medaille - but the ribbon confuses me.... or is it just a SEHO ? Your help is warmly welcome... :blush:

Hello Heiko:

I agree with you that this is a Sachsen-Meiningen Lifesaving Medal. The ribbon for this award is white with green side stripes (which compares favorably with what is shown in the photo). With only 71 struck and probably fewer than this awarded, a fantastic photograph! Congratulations.

MfG,

"SPM"

Nimmergut shows a ribbon with reversed colors in his Bänderkatalog (old one from 90s). I guess this was Heiko's problem, as it was mine here.

And well, the page there says it were from Sachsen-Meinungen...

Saxony-Opinions, for those who cannot read German...

:whistle:

Hello Heiko:

I agree with you that this is a Sachsen-Meiningen Lifesaving Medal. The ribbon for this award is white with green side stripes (which compares favorably with what is shown in the photo). With only 71 struck and probably fewer than this awarded, a fantastic photograph! Congratulations.

MfG,

"SPM"

A fantastic photo, extremely rare. First award: 28. Juli 1903, last award: 28. September 1918. Only 66 awards.

Best regards

Kapitular

Hello Claudius:

Thank you for your comments. I have had this bar for a few years now. It is featured on the website of a good friend of mine. Theoretically, it should be possible to identify the recipient, but it would be a daunting task. The problem is that there are no Reuss rolls as far as I know. I know that Rick was working on Sachsen-Meiningen rolls, but I don't know if he inhereted the listing of lifesaving medal recipients. There were probably more than a few police recipients of this award however. So, there will probably never be a name to go with it unless photos/documents turn-up somewhere (unlikely).

In any case, it is one of the best police extremely-long service groups that I have ever encountered.

Best regards,

"SPM"