News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Need help with RAD Uniform

Hello Gentlemen!

I´ve got this photograph of a RAD Uniform.

I have heard, the 7/76 means the detachment In Nordfriesland (North west of Germany)

The "S" upon the cuffs seems to be sector "Süd" (south). How can this fit?

I am thankful for every help!

Edited by The Prussian

Hi Simon!

I don´t think so. I´ve seen some RAD sleevebands with N, S, O, W and R. That must be North, South, East, West and Reich.

Saar wouldn´t make no sense, because the Saar area ist mor than 400km south of Friesland, where the 76 belonged to

Cheers, Andy

Andy

My reference for the 'Saar' identification came from JR Angolia and David Littlejohn's 'Labour Organizations of the Reich' published by RJ Bender.

'SLEEVEBANDS (Armelstreifen) Special identification letters were worn on a sleeveband on the lower left sleeve of the service tunic and greatcoat. An order dated 4th January 1939 introduced cuff bands with a single letter to be worn by RAD personnel assigned to work on the Siegfried Line. Yet another order dated 15th March 1939 introduced the letters M, N, O and P. The black band measured 25mm wide and displayed the designation in a machine woven Gothic letter (approximately 20mm high) and with a 5 mm wide and 60 mm long white, silver or gold bar (depending on rank of wearer)on the right and left. These increased by four (H, R, S and T) formed in the western Arbeitsgaue. These cuff bands were cancelled by an order dated 29th April 1941 which refers to them as Armbands with special letters (Armelstreifen mit den Sonderbuchstaben). Known sleevebands are H, M, N, O, P, R(Rhein), S(Saar), T(Trier) and W. These single letter sleevebands appear to have been worn only by RAD units employed on defensive construction.By April 1941 Hitler had no need to think in terms of defence. therefore their use after that was terminated.'

Best regards Simon :cheers:

Hello Simon!

Thanx for the infos. That is very interesting! My source was the book "Badges and insignia if the 3rd Reich 1933-1945" by Brian Leigh Davis.

I really can´t believe that S means Saar (in this case). Unfortunately the photo is not dated. From two other sources I´ve heard, that the numbers are surely from Friesland (the Northwest coast of German)

Edited by The Prussian

Andy

That may indeed be the case but I was under the impression that RAD units were stationed at vaious points throughout the Reich and occupied territories on construction projects and this may explain why he is wearing the sleeveband. Are there any markings on the rear of the photo to suggest date or location?

Simon

Yes,. they were statines all over the Reich, but each "section" had their own number.

On the rear is nothing but a greeting.

But I think you are right. The blame is on me. On the bottom right is a small stamp from the photo-atelier. It is from Pirmasens. This town is next door to Saarbrücken! So it could be possible, that RAD men from Friesland came to work near the french border, so the sleevebands could be temporary?

• 1 year later...

Some more pics with sleevebands from my photo collection:

H - Gruppe 274. Gau XXVII, Baden

2u8x9wm.jpg

S - Gruppe 105, Abt. 7. Gau X, Niederschlesien

54x544.jpg

T - Gruppe 75, Abt. 4. Gau VII, Schleswig-Holstein

2h39cuq.jpg

S - Gruppe 226, Abt. 7. Gau XXII, Hessen-Nord

zx4itg.jpg

S - Gruppe unknown - sleeveband on the wrong cuff.

30hn4nr.jpg

Edited by Odulf

RAD was my favorite Topic when I was collecting WWII German Militaria; I would like to say these are some very nice photos.

http://www.feldgrau.com/rad.html

Thank you for sharing

Lorenzo

I am mainly collecting photos, documents, and documentation and I keep a vast number of RAD photos and postcards in my collection. Always willing to cooperate in the production of books an documentations (such as by Bender, where many of my photos are published) to illustrate the (uniform) history of the Third Reich.

James Bender Publishing has a lot of good publications. The Military Advisor is a great magazine; can you give me a list of some of your articles you wrote by Issue numbers.

Thank you

Lorenzo