News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Found this little piece to add to my small Sturmbataillon paper collection...

Oh, man, I just might be getting as crazy as you! :speechless:

I just picked up a couple of these little death cards for artillery regiments to add to my regimental project. :catjava:

Seems I've joined good collecting company. :beer:

Well... there are a few things that would attract you...

1) You are Irish... and these are catholic!

2) Great research possibilities as they are very often bavarian and you can pull all the records of the guys online

3) as long as you stick to arty... we can still be friends! (Just kidding, there are more than enough of these to go around. Some guys are absolute idiots for what they are willing to pay for these!)

2) Great research possibilities as they are very often bavarian and you can pull all the records of the guys online

3) as long as you stick to arty... we can still be friends! (Just kidding, there are more than enough of these to go around. Some guys are absolute idiots for what they are willing to pay for these!)

1) I'm only part Irish (one grandmother), but not Catholic.

2) Almost all are Bavarian that I have seen; except for the one Wuerttemburger and one Italian I've snagged.

3) Oh, I've already strayed from only artillery - the Wuerttemburger for example is not a gunner and I have a couple Bavarian infantrymen, which could be tradeable ;-)

So, what's the most you have spent for one? :whistle:

1) I'm only part Irish (one grandmother), but not Catholic.

2) Almost all are Bavarian that I have seen; except for the one Wuerttemburger and one Italian I've snagged.

3) Oh, I've already strayed from only artillery - the Wuerttemburger for example is not a gunner and I have a couple Bavarian infantrymen, which could be tradeable ;-)

So, what's the most you have spent for one? :whistle:

Hi,

if they are really really nice and I have an interest in the unit and/or action, i may go crazy and pay EUR10-15... if it was a real, real, real, real, real... killer piece, maybe a tad more.

A few years back guys were paying USD300-500 for some of the WW2 stuff, they would never get their money back on it today....

average WW1, maybe EUR1-4...

Hi,

if they are really really nice and I have an interest in the unit and/or action, i may go crazy and pay EUR10-15... if it was a real, real, real, real, real... killer piece, maybe a tad more.

A few years back guys were paying USD300-500 for some of the WW2 stuff, they would never get their money back on it today....

average WW1, maybe EUR1-4...

I guess I'm in the zone then; looking back I'm in the 3-7 EUR range. Though I was more like 20 for the lone Italian (who happens to be an artilleryman).

Nice addition Chris!

I just collect examples from the Jäger Rgt. Nr.3 (surprise!). I was merrily adding pieces at an average price of about $7.00 each, including postage. Then things suddenly changed and every example I saw was selling for $20-$25. That abruptly ended my bliss. It never fails. You find a cheap fun thing to collect and before long, the "more money than brains" crowd is buying everything. The same thing happened with regimental Künstlerkarten. What was a $5-$10 Dollar item just a year or so ago, now averages $25-$30, with examples reaching $60-$70. Of course, some of the rise has to do with the exchange rate, but it is a small factor in comparison to the inflation of the selling prices. I suppose I should look on the bright side and be happy that the value of my collection is increasing, but honestly, the investment part is not the reason I collect.

Chip

Nice addition Chris!

I just collect examples from the Jäger Rgt. Nr.3 (surprise!). I was merrily adding pieces at an average price of about $7.00 each, including postage. Then things suddenly changed and every example I saw was selling for $20-$25. That abruptly ended my bliss. It never fails. You find a cheap fun thing to collect and before long, the "more money than brains" crowd is buying everything. The same thing happened with regimental Künstlerkarten. What was a $5-$10 Dollar item just a year or so ago, now averages $25-$30, with examples reaching $60-$70. Of course, some of the rise has to do with the exchange rate, but it is a small factor in comparison to the inflation of the selling prices. I suppose I should look on the bright side and be happy that the value of my collection is increasing, but honestly, the investment part is not the reason I collect.

Chip

Chip;

I have to mention a sad loss. A few months ago I made a few purchases from a German dealer, seemed to be a nice lady, and they were sent registered mail, and dissapeared in the post. One was a Militaer=Pass from Jaeger=Bataillon Nr. 3; one a photo of four Prussian Feuerwerk=Offiziere in 1906, a great photo; and two other not important photos. All the prices had been quite reasonable. I am interested in Jaeger=Sturm=Bataillon Nr. 3, so I really wanted the Pass, and as my grand-father was a Prussian Feuerwerk=Oberleutnant in 1906, the men in that photo almost certainly were known to him.

If I get a Pass from Jaeger=Bataillon Nr. 3 or Jaeger=Regiment Nr. 3, I will happily share it with you.

I have been buying very little stuff lately, except for books (just paid $280 for a book in Germany, ouch), but I think that I will start again.

Bob Lembke

Bob,

Thanks for the offer. I have two Militärpaße from the Jäg.Rgt.Nr.3. One is very nice and the other is from a new recruit at the end of the war that did not get into the action. I would be pleased to see yours, should it ever arrive. I too have lost registered items coming from Germany. I think it is much safer just to send them via regular post. They don't draw any attention. Once that registered letter hits the U.S., the tracking ends and you can find no information. My first lost packet contained 10 shoulder straps (good ones!), about $300 worth. I lost the straps and the money. Our post office just shrugged.

Chip

I'll admit that I've paid insane prices for some postcards, but I figure that this is evened out by the amazing bargains I've also found, mostly on eBay. All the following postcards I bought for $1-3:

Jager- (Sturm-) Bataillon Nr. 3.

Edited by Thomas W

• 1 month later...

Hi Chris,

Could you please give me a quick 'how to' research Bavarian soldaten on line?

All the best,

Jay

Could you please give me a quick 'how to' research Bavarian soldaten on line

Jay;

Others may have more info, but I would think that it is not possible. The Bavarian WW I archives (unlike the central Prussian) still exist, but you have to go there, I believe, as I don't think that they have put anything on-line. By Soldaten I assume you mean EM, that also is much harder than officers, generally, but I don't know lots about the Bavarian records. However, if a soldier managed to get killed, he has a good chance (say 40%, I would guess) to be in the war graves association's data-base, which is on-line.

Bob Lembke

Jay;

Others may have more info, but I would think that it is not possible. The Bavarian WW I archives (unlike the central Prussian) still exist, but you have to go there, I believe, as I don't think that they have put anything on-line. By Soldaten I assume you mean EM, that also is much harder than officers, generally, but I don't know lots about the Bavarian records. However, if a soldier managed to get killed, he has a good chance (say 40%, I would guess) to be in the war graves association's data-base, which is on-line.

Bob Lembke

Thanks Bob. Do you happen to know the web address for the German War Graves Association?

All the best,

Jay