News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Republic of Cameroon

Elvis

Hello gentleman,

this is the

Republic of Cameroon

Labour Medal of Honour

The medall look antique silver (the image is not perfect).

Diameter = 29 mm

Thickness 2 mm

But the ribbon is missing.

Can anyone sent a image with the ribbon front and backside?

Thanks

Elvis

The ribbon for the Medal of Labour of Cameroon is red & white of 32 millimeters width.

Nicolas de Roffignac who published a book on African Orders & Medals in 2000 wrote the ribbon to be red/white and he did research on official text for his book (page 39).It's a more reliable source of information.

Also the medal I own in my collection and which I got from Company Huguenin (one of the manufacturer) was fitted with this ribbon too.

Megan based her reply on the picture available on the site of Ed Emering,but the ribbon red/green is a very common ribbon that is actually the actual ribbon of the Medal of Merit of Mwabutsa IV of the Kingdom of Burundi (1962-66).

Emmanuel

Hello Megan,

hello Emmanuel,

thanks for your help. You both did a good job for me.

Now I know the colour of the ribbon and the width.

The backside is the double - needle (this is what I am thinking).

It`s now again a pice of the puzzle which I got.

Thanks

Elvis

Nicolas de Roffignac who published a book on African Orders & Medals in 2000 wrote the ribbon to be red/white and he did research on official text for his book (page 39).It's a more reliable source of information.

Emmanuel

Morning Emmanuel

Are copies of the book still freely available? What is the price? Seems that it can be a must have reference work if one is interested in African orders, decorations and medals.

Regards

Norman

• 2 years later...
    • 11 months later...

Hello Ilja559,

thanks I got my book as well.

There are not so many images in.

And nothing is colored.

I have to read the text carefully.

Hello Elvis. Yes, not many foto but information is good.
    Now the problem for me in Cameroon - Order of Merit. I thought that there are five different types of orders, with a different inscription on the reverse.
    1. "TERRITOIRE DU CAMEROUN - MERITE INDIGENE" (1924 -1946 )
    2. "TERRITOIRE DU CAMEROUN - MERITE CAMEROUNAIS" ( 1946 - 1959)
    3. "ETAT DU CAMEROUN - MERITE CAMEROUNAIS"
    4. "REPUBLIQUE FEDERALE DU CAMEROUN - MERITE CAMEROUNAIS"
    5. "REPUBLIQUE UNIE DU CAMEROUN - MERITE CAMEROUNAIS"
    Now met another type, I cant understand its modern?
    Regards, Ilja.

• 2 years later...

Here are the latest models of Cameroonian orders. From left to right:

1.  Cameroonian Defense Forces Service Medal

2.  Cameroonian Labor Medal 10 Years

3. Cameroonian Order of Merit - Chevalier/Knight

4.  Cameroonian Order of Merit - Officier/Officer

5.  Cameroonian Order of Valor - Chevalier/Knight

medals.jpg

Edited by redleg

• 1 year later...
    • 5 years later...

I recommend the newly designed website of the Grand Chancellery of National Orders of the Republic of Cameroon.

The national orders and the medals of the Republic are presented in the form of the law of 25 April 2019 (Loi N°2019/007 du 25 avril 2019).

A lot of information clearly presented.

https://www.gcon.cm/index.php/en/

Hello Gentlemen,

Very good link for information and good photo.

The Cross of Military Valour is completely new to me.

I know through the history of Cameroon since 1958, there had been a lots of changes in the name of the country itself, from Etat du Cameroun to République Fédérale du Cameroun ( 1961-72 ) , then République Unie du Cameroun - United Republic of Cameroon ( 1972-1984 ), then République du Cameroun - Republic of Cameroon since 1984.

It these changes reflects in the center of the initials of the country, some medals you can see them with 1 star, or 2 stars in center, or with initials RC ( Republic Cameroon ), or RFC ( Republic Federal Cameroon ).

Cameroon phaleristic is a mine for variation.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Cameroun Cross of Military Valour.png

Cameroun Cross of Military Valour Medal.png

• 1 month later...

Happily vanishing down this rabbit-hole of Cameroon medals... it's just as well that I can read French!

Read "ORDER NO. 72/24 OF 30/11/1972 Reorganizing the National Orders and the Great Chancellery of the United Republic of Cameroon" last night. That's some help on the structure/names of orders but doesn't say beans about what they look like.

Just found "Loi N° 2019/007 du 25 avril 2019 portant régime des ordres nationaux" - at a quick scan it's an update of the 1972 one, still no descriptions.

Anyone know of any other laws or regulations dealing with Cameroon stuff - especially medals, the above 2 deal primarily with the orders only?

I known the "Loi N°2010/007 du 29 juillet 2010 portant création de la Croix de la Valeur Militaire du Cameroun"

Next the electronic translation. See the article 17

The National Assembly has deliberated and adopted, the President of the Republic promulgates the law whose content follows:
    Chapter I: General provisions
    Art. 1st - (1) It is created, within the framework of national orders, a cross of military value of Cameroon.
    (2) The Cross of Cameroon's military value is a distinction whose object is to stimulate in the ranks of the Cameroonian army, the sense of merit, sacrifice, honor and fidelity.
    Art. 2 - The Cross of the military value of Cameroon is intended to reward the soldiers of the national gendarmerie and the armies holding a quote for weapons won over theaters of military operations.
    Art. 3 - The Cross of Cameroon's military value is administered by the great Chancellery of national orders.
    Chapter II: Terms of allocation and port of decentralization
    Art. 4 - The Cross of the military value of Cameroon is conferred by the President of the Republic on the proposal of the Minister of Defense, after the opinion of the Commission of the Cross of military value.
    Art. 5 - The proposal is necessarily accompanied by a report exposing the facts of arms, established by the military chief.
    Art. 6 - (1) are not available, the candidates:
    - having incurred a condemnation for crime or voluntary offense;
    - those who have been the subject of cassation, demotion or a return of the 1st to the 2nd class, as a discipline;
    - Those who have incurred in the past two years twenty (20) days in prison or rigor.

1. Quote to the order of the nation: wearing a staple in the shape of gold -crossed sabers.
    2. Quote to the order of the armies: wearing a clip in the shape of crossed sabers in vermeil.
    3. Quote to the order of the army: wearing a clip in the shape of silver -crossed sabers.
    Art. 11 - The contingent of decorations is fixed by decree of the President of the Republic.
    Art. 12 - (1) The Cross of Cameroon's military value is handed over by the President of the Republic, head of the armed forces.
    (2) However, he can delegate this charge to the Minister of Defense or to military leaders.
    Art. 13 - (1) The delivery of the Cross of the military value of Cameroon takes place on the day of the Festival of the Armed Forces.
    (2) However, when the circumstances require it, it can take place by decision of the President of the Republic, at all other places and date.
    Art. 14 - (1) The ceremonial for delivery of the decoration takes place in front of the troops in position "Present!" Weapons! »»
    The ban is open before and closed after the crossing of the cross.
    (2) The authority proceeding with the presentation is placed in front of the recipient, and having previously called by its grade and its name declares: "On behalf of the President of the Republic, we give you the Cross of the military value of Cameroon with quote to the order of ... ".
    Art. 15 - (1) The decoration can be brought by the interested party as soon as the latter has received a notification of the concession decree.
    (2) The Cross of Cameroon's military value is immediately worn after that of the national order of value.
    Art. 16 - (1) In the event of the beneficiary's death, it is given according to the inheritance order to the beneficiaries of the deceased.
    (2) These -can in no case wear this medal.

Chapter III: Description of the Cross of Cameroon's military value
    Art. 17 - The Cross of the military value of Cameroon is a golden metal insignia in the shape of a four -branch believer, suspended from the ribbon by a foliage bail.
    In its center, it has a round medal with its obverse the emblem of the defense forces.
    Each branch of the cross presents the emblem of each army (national gendarmerie, army, air army, national marine).
    On his setback, the medal bears the mentions: "Republic of Cameroon", "Cross of military value" as well as the motto of the defense forces "Honor and Loyalty" in French and in English.
    The ribbon is in moiré silk, barred with three vertical bands of equal width in national colors: green, red, yellow and carrying in the middle a golden star.
    Chapter IV: Various and finishing provisions
    Art. 18 - The Cross of Cameroon's military value is free from any chancellery right and insignia reimbursement costs.
    Art. 19 - The Cross of Military Value of Cameroon is liable by right following any conviction resulting in an afflictive or infamous sentence.
    Art. 20 - The illegal port of the Cross of Cameroon's military value is punished in accordance with the law.
    Art. 21 - A decree of the President of the Republic can, as necessary, specify the methods of application of this law.
    Art. 22 - This law will be registered and published according to the emergency procedure, then inserted in the Official Journal in French and English.
    Yaoundé, on July 29, 2010 the President of the Republic, (é) Paul Biya