News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ok, it is clear that the 1895 Dunkelblau waffenrock was officially replaced by the Feldgrau Model 1910. However, how long after 1910 were Dunkelblau waffenrock allowed to be worn?

I am trying to roughly date a photo; the soldier is wearing a Dunkelblau and has the EK2 showing. So, on one end is Aug 1914; but what date might be on the other end?

Here is the Fuss-Artl. Regt. Nr. 18 kanonier in his Dunkelblau:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=34008&st=0&p=319450&fromsearch=1&#entry319450

Edited by IrishGunner

Guest Rick Research

Recruits in basic training back home often show up entirely or mostly in blue in photos dated into 1916.

I've seen photos of officers wearing the old blue after the war-- possibly if they had nothing privately purchased or clean enough otherwise.

The Reichsheer was still issuing regulations against mix-and-match blue/field gray in the early 1920s, but have seen officers "wearing out" the old blue circa 1922/23.

Guest Rick Research

PS

Afterthought-- wading through the Sachsen-Meiningen WW1 enlisted award rolls now, Fußa 18 and all its war spinoffs were heavily decorated/staffed from that Duchy-- too bad no NAME on your photo!

PS

Afterthought-- wading through the Sachsen-Meiningen WW1 enlisted award rolls now, Fußa 18 and all its war spinoffs were heavily decorated/staffed from that Duchy-- too bad no NAME on your photo!

Rick; thanks for your reply. So, it's a bit impossible to narrow the date of the photo - our good gefreiter could have pulled out the blau for his wedding since it probably was more "elegant."

Yes; too bad about the lack of name. One of these days I hope to benefit from your identification wizardry! :catjava:

Rick,

The "Dunkelblau" uniform was replaced for field service wear in 1907. It continued to be worn as a dress uniform until September 1915, when it was replaced by a gray "Friedensuniform". In reality, the old uniforms continued to be worn, prilmarilly in the homeland, by trainees and other homeland forces.

Chip