News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

And just to show how anal I am.... I specially cleared away the 7.92 brass to do the lewis shot, it is 303 brass laying there.... no short cuts for my babies!!

When did you get the Lewis gun? The nearest I've been to one was a rusty magazine in Ypres.

Expect me round one day for a play with it.

Tony

When did you get the Lewis gun? The nearest I've been to one was a rusty magazine in Ypres.

Expect me round one day for a play with it.

Tony

Lewis gun?..... Oh, thaaaaaaat thing....

Found it on the flea market on the last Verdun trip...... :whistle:

If you come over for the GMIC battlefield trip in June you can play with it.... :D

Chris ,

can you give me the exact name of the baby in post N°3 please.... I have a postcard of a german unit with some of these but I don`t think it is a german one , or... ?

thank you

Heiko

Hi Heiko , That's a "Lewis Gun" ...more can be found on it here --

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Gun

Even deactivated or Dummy versions of this MG are not easy to find so ..Chris is very lucky to own one.

• 2 weeks later...

Heiko;

Early in the war the Germans formed three (I think) battalions armed with the Danish Madsen LMG (Musketen=Bataillone), but as these were lost or wore out (some may have been transferred to other uses) they were replaced with captured Lewis guns. There were conversion kits to adapt them to German use and I think that they were converted to 8 mm Mauser ammo. My father's unit adopted the French Chauchaut, which was horribly made, but was a bit better than many people think. But when they were made in US 30-06 ammo by the French for the Americans, they were truly awful, and in the English literature they are generally considered the worst MG ever made.

The Germans generally considered the Lewis a good gun.

Bob Lembke