News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Identify a Masonic Medal

Hi Guys,

I have a Masonic Medal. Its engraved on the back...

Presented to Bro W C Grant C.P

March 20th 1929

For Services rendered to the Lonsdale Lodge No. 1115

On the front there is what appears to be a golden ram with the words Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

I wonder if anyone can tell me what C.P stands for, is there a significance to the date, what the Latin means & what the medal is for, or indeed anything else that might be of interest.

I wonder if W C Grant served in the Great War?

Hi Guys,

March 20th 1929

On the front there is what appears to be a golden ram with the words Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

I wonder if anyone can tell me what C.P stands for, is there a significance to the date, what the Latin means & what the medal is for, or indeed anything else that might be of interest.

It's a badge of the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes which is an organisation akin to the freemasons and shares many of its philanthropic ideals. Some people describe as the workingman's freemasonary. The image at the front is not a ram but a buffalo. Quite fun but pretty likely to be unreasearchable. You could try the RAOB website where someone may have some information about the lodge.

All the best,

Paul

It's a badge of the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes which is an organisation akin to the freemasons and shares many of its philanthropic ideals. Some people describe as the workingman's freemasonary. The image at the front is not a ram but a buffalo. Quite fun but pretty likely to be unreasearchable. You could try the RAOB website where someone may have some information about the lodge.

All the best,

Paul

No problem researching RAOB jewels...The society is very strong in the UK especially the midlands and north of England. I have always found them very helpful identifying items...

Try here...

Christopher McMahon

Grove House, Skipton Road, Harrogate, North Yorkshire HG1 4LA

Tel: (01423) 502438 Fax: (01423) 533979

email: hq@raobgle.org.uk

• 3 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...

The Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes is a social and benevolent Fraternal organisation open to men. Its aim is to aid members in need and their families, and the families of deceased members as well as to support other Charitable groups.

The first lodge was founded in London in 1822. It was founded by staff from the Theatre Royal who had been denied membership of another Order known as the City Of Lushington. Previously everyone working in the theatre was allowed access to the latter Order however at some point in the early 19th Century membership was restricted so that only people who actually appeared on stage could become members, thus excluding backstage staff. It is unknown why they chose the name of the Order.

The Order has never received a Royal Charter, even though for many years it has been known as the "Royal" Antediluvian Order. It is thought that the Order had been given the title "Loyal" towards the end of the 19th century when questions started arising concerning a great number of private societies and clubs, and that the title became "Royal" over time. The Order was, however, allowed to register itself under the Royal Warrant Act in the early 20th Century because it had already been using the title "Royal".

It is thought that there was some cross-development of the Order with Freemasonry traditions as there are some similarities with Masonic rites and modes of conduct.

There are four levels of membership within the organisation

:#Brother (1st level)

:#Certified Primo (2nd level)

:#Knight Order of Merit (Knight or Sir) (3rd level)

:#Roll Of Honour (Right Honourable) (4th level)

While administratively the organisation operates in three tiers

:#Minor Lodge

:#Provinical Grand Lodge

:#Grand Lodge

The RAOB is a worldwide men's charity organisation made up of different sections (known as banners), it's not just a social club or a "dummy club", but rather an organisation that believes all men are equal.

• 3 years later...

HI

It could have been a founders jewel, with out the ribbon it can be hard to say if it was a common used design.
    It could also just be a jewel the lodge decided to present for services to the Lodge or Order.

As stated CP after the name does show att he time of presentation he was a Certified Primo (2nd degree)

Paul Richardson (RAOB GLE)

• 1 month later...

Now that interesting as a new person here. !!! I know the Lonsdale Lodge 1115 it was formally of the Manchester and District Province of RAOB GLE they met at the Midway Hotel in Stockport Road Levenshulme and Prior to that the RAOB Club and Institute in Barnhill Street Moss Side Manchester. The Lonsdale slowly declined my father was a member in the Lonsdale 1115 he was initiated in August 1962. and raised to the 3rd degree KOM in September 1966 . To prevent the decline the Lonsdale was amalgamated with a new lodge in the 1983 called the Loyal Lodge number 10260 I was initiated as is the custom on the opening night as a group of 3 new brothers my father was the first WP and founder member James Crichton KOM as my father became too infirm the lodge again went into decline was amalgamated with the Always Ready Lodge.

I trust you have found this enlightening

Bro P Crichton ROH (RAOB GLE)

• 3 months later...

I have arrived at this site a little late in the day for this discussion but I can help with the Latin translation of Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit.

Those words translate as "No man is at all times wise"

My father was a member of the RAOB in St Helens Merseyside for many years, and I still have his "Jewels" framed over my fire place. He died in 2003.

Hope the translation helps!

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys,

March 20th 1929

Hi,im an RAOB member.This item is from our order not Masonic.The CP means certified Primo which is is degree within the order."nd Degree.I hope this is of help to you.