News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Honor Al Merito medal

IrishGunner

My son bought this at a flea market in Barcelona during a family a trip awhile ago; he gave it to me this year for Christmas (really cool that he notices my hobby!) He also gave me a Spanish Civil War Victory and Rising Medal. That one was easy to identify; this one I can't find anywhere online.

The front:

I'm not positive but I'm thinking a modern Spanish award. The rectangular metal piece on the top of the ribbon is the same was what the Spanish use on their medals. Also on the coat of arms in the first picture... I believe that's the pillars of Hercules used on alot of Spanish coins, medals, etc. Also the quartering on the arms... the castle and the lion... Castile and Leon. Although on the ones I'm familiar with on Reale coins and such there are generally two quarters with the castle and two with the lion opposite diagonally to each other.

Anyhow hope this helps somewhat.beer.gif

Dancheers.gif

I'm not positive but I'm thinking a modern Spanish award. The rectangular metal piece on the top of the ribbon is the same was what the Spanish use on their medals. Also on the coat of arms in the first picture... I believe that's the pillars of Hercules used on alot of Spanish coins, medals, etc. Also the quartering on the arms... the castle and the lion... Castile and Leon. Although on the ones I'm familiar with on Reale coins and such there are generally two quarters with the castle and two with the lion opposite diagonally to each other.

Anyhow hope this helps somewhat.:beer:

Dancheers.gif

Dan, this does help somewhat. Your focus on the coat of arms got me to thinking; so, I went looking for the coat of arms of Catalunya and Barcelona. The coat/arms on the front is certainly for Spain. But the one on the back, is for the city of Barcelona - where the medal was found! Possibly a civil award from the city of Barcelona. This actually makes it even cooler as a gift from my son!

http://www.ngw.nl/int/spa/b/barcelon.htm

Cheers! :beer:

This are the Honour Medal "To Merit" for the Municipal Police and Fire defence Service of the town of Barcelona. The regulations are of 1976 but the coat of arms of the reverse -not for the obverse- are for the type since 1981. The obverse wear the arms of the town of Barcelona

Is awarded for relevant services in their proffessional activities

This Honour Medal if in two classes:

- "To Suffering"

- "To Merit"

And each class three types:

- gold,

- silver.

- and bronze (for facts of relevant and public transcendence or 25 years LS&GC)

Edited by Antonio Prieto

I believe that this has the Honour Medal "To Merit" for the Municipal Police and Fire defence Service of the town of Barcelona. The regulations are of 1976 but this coat of arms ob the reverse are for the type since 1981. The obverse wear the coat of arms of the town of Barcelona

Is awarded for relevant services in their proffessional activities

This Honour Medal if in two classes:

- "To Suffering"

- "To Merit"

And each class three types: gold, silver and bronze (for facts of relevant and public transcendence or 25 years LS&GC)

Antonio - thanks for the details! I knew you would be the one with the answer. :catjava:

I actually checked your website first, but didn't see this medal.

Antonio - thanks for the details! I knew you would be the one with the answer. catjava.gif

I actually checked your website first, but didn't see this medal.

My web dont have the medals and decorations of the spanish "Comunidades Autónomas", cities, towns, etc. I have some of these regulations, anytime without images