News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Aviators Safety Helmet

When I first saw the helmet I was wondering which Country it was for. With the bulbous shape I was surprised to see it was British. I would think a private purchase and obviously for the old bi-planes - so, 1920's or 30's. Christies are the top hat makers in the UK and apart from officer's hats - also supplied to civilians.

A nice old item and with the original goggles quite valuable - I would think in the region of £200 (360$) - perhaps more - they are collectible.

Thankyou Tomas - like Simon I was getting bored with nothing new under Aviation.

• 5 weeks later...

Tomas,

I would imagine that this is rather a rare item - I have never seen anything like it (although I do live in New Zealand!) This type of protective helmets began to became popular just a few years (2 or 3) before the Great War (WW1) in Europe and the UK (Rhood was a well-known maker, and another type was the Warren helmet). The Germans were rather keen on a similar type for their aircrew during the Great war. However the British seemed to shy away from protective helmets (probably because of their weight and general ungainliness) during this war, and the RAF did not introduce another protective helmet for general issue until the mid-1950s (the "Protective Helmet, Mk. 1"!) However the RAF did have an interesting looking helmet in the 1920s and 1930s, which was a modified "Solah Topi" (British style tropical protective helmet), although the protection in this case was from the sun, and not accidents. So, all in all,t thank you for showing us this most interesting specimen.

David D

• 11 months later...