News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Silver Star group...

Hi,

5th Division, 7th engineers.

It was won as he and a group of engineers tried to set up an infantry bridge across the Meuse on the 4th of November 1918... have tons of documentation, will do an article for the site about it in a few days... and maybe visit the exact spot on the GMIC tour in June´....

Hi,

5th Division, 7th engineers.

It was won as he and a group of engineers tried to set up an infantry bridge across the Meuse on the 4th of November 1918... have tons of documentation, will do an article for the site about it in a few days... and maybe visit the exact spot on the GMIC tour in June´....

Wow!! I did not expect the diamond division!! Awesome find Chris!! Going to read up on this engagement right now :)

Hi,

He was B company, they are the guys who got shot up trying to put up pontoons to the north of Clery le Petit. 7-8 guys got the Silver Star. They did it until all the pontoons were shot away then had to retire as there was no point standing around without pontoons.

Later another company set up a bridge a few hundred meters lower and the river (then canal) were crossed. here 7-8 men got the DSC.

Same thing, but one mission succeded, one did not... so different medals.

Hi,

It is a huge guess on my part, but an Iron Worker pre WW1. WW1 Engineer... tattoes on his chest... and joining the navy at 50 in WW2.... I would guess he worked in a shipyard ore something....

I see he was in Cumberland, MD in 1942. While Cumberland is in the western mountains of Maryland, it isn't that far from Baltimore, which had a huge shipyard building ships in WWII. Circumstantial to say the least, but you never know...

Guest Rick Research

Died December 1980 Bowling Green (or sub-locations using same zip code) MD 21502 leaving a widow.

Social Security number 214-07-2905 issued in Maryland.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was French-Canadian.

"At 4.20pm the 2nd Battalion, 60th Infantry, and the 2nd Battalion, 61st Infantry, had reached the bank of the river, and the engineers started work on the first bridge. At this moment a tremendous fire of machine guns and artillery burst on the exposed troops with great suddenness. The infantry sought shelter and found it, but the engineers bravely continued at their posts. Shells sank their boats as fast as they could be placed in the water and by 6.00 P. M. no boats were left. "

I have just posted a writeup about a Silver Star Group I was lucky enough to aquire, Hope you enjoy it....

http://www.kaiserscross.com/257543/262901.html

Best

Chris