News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Arisaka

Desertrat

Well as the tiitle says here is my Japennese arisaka.Used in WWII.It has been refinished and the flower has been removed but every thing else is origional.The serial # is low i think it is 7301 i may be wrong.

Enjoy

Keenan

Edited by Desertrat

Hi Keenan,

Nice rifle. I had one of these a number of years ago and I always wondered about the back site. I was told that they were intended to allow the rifleman to shoot at aircraft that were attacking and the wide part of the sight allowed them to judge distance - or perhaps to lead the aircraft. I thought it would have been futile for a soldier to even bother taking the shot but the fellow who told me this said he agreed as far as one man but several soldiers firing may have made the difference.

I offer this not so much as a fact but to hear if you or any of the other members have heard this.

Thanks for posting your Arisaka.

Regards

Brian

Hi Keenan,

Nice rifle. I had one of these a number of years ago and I always wondered about the back site. I was told that they were intended to allow the rifleman to shoot at aircraft that were attacking and the wide part of the sight allowed them to judge distance - or perhaps to lead the aircraft. I thought it would have been futile for a soldier to even bother taking the shot but the fellow who told me this said he agreed as far as one man but several soldiers firing may have made the difference.

I offer this not so much as a fact but to hear if you or any of the other members have heard this.

Thanks for posting your Arisaka.

Regards

Brian

Yes it does have the dust cover.I have been told the same thing about the sight i would think it would be for trying to shoot low flying planes or to line up with a target.

Thanks for the replys

Keenan Wise

• 3 weeks later...

Yes it does have the dust cover.I have been told the same thing about the sight i would think it would be for trying to shoot low flying planes or to line up with a target.

Thanks for the replys

Keenan Wise

Nice Rifle! Have you fired it yet?

With regards to the AA role of the sights, you have to bear in mind that the Japanese Army put great store in its infantryman, and almost the entire army consisted of infantry. They travelled light, and 'man packed' just about everything. Most of their artillery could be broken down, and they had very few tanks, and of these, they were essentially Light tanks, and primarily used only in the infantry support role. They were also were nearly always part of a large army or group. Imagine several hundred Arisaka's, firing together, at aircraft, and you now have a large amount of lead in the air. It only takes one lucky hit! The British Army still teaches to fire thirty(!) aircraft lengths ahead of a jet, before becoming to fire , en masse.....

Ps Might I ask how much you payed? :cheers:

Nice Rifle! Have you fired it yet?

With regards to the AA role of the sights, you have to bear in mind that the Japanese Army put great store in its infantryman, and almost the entire army consisted of infantry. They travelled light, and 'man packed' just about everything. Most of their artillery could be broken down, and they had very few tanks, and of these, they were essentially Light tanks, and primarily used only in the infantry support role. They were also were nearly always part of a large army or group. Imagine several hundred Arisaka's, firing together, at aircraft, and you now have a large amount of lead in the air. It only takes one lucky hit! The British Army still teaches to fire thirty(!) aircraft lengths ahead of a jet, before becoming to fire , en masse.....

Ps Might I ask how much you payed? cheers.gif

thank you for the information...my dad bought this rifle in Canton Texas(first monday flea market) and he said he paid $50-$60(i believe thats a good price) for it and a box of 20 rounds and he fired 18 rounds and we still have the last 2 rounds im going to try to buy(well get my dad to buy)a box of rounds for so next time we go to the gun range we can fire it.Its lightweight to me(im 13)and it would seem preaty easy to fire.The only problem is that 7.7 rounds are hard to come buy around here.And all the serial #'s match.

Keenan

$50-60 is a ridiculously low price - especially if it is a numbers-matched rifle, including that dust cover! Hell, just the monopods by themselves will cost you that much. If the rifle is all authentic, and untouched that is a helluva deal. It'd still be a great price even if it wasn't matched as the parts have a significant individual value, well over $50-60!

You can get 7.7mm factory new rounds from Graf & Sons:

http://www.grafs.com/ammo/239

Not the cheapest stuff in the world at a buck a round, but the PCI stuff ain't too bad shootin' and shipping is free from Graf. The Hornady and Norma are very good, but Norma is over-priced for everyday shooting.