News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Vietnam Grouping Research Problem...

Hannibal Rex

Hey guys...

I was wondering what folks here think of a grouping I have that I've been trying to research out.

Awhile back (I think a couple years now) I purchased a small grouping to a US Army EM who served in Vietnam.

The group consisted of a EM cap, dress uniform with the brass and so on intact, as well as a ribbon bar that included a PH and a Green Weenie. It also had his name written in the jacket and cap, as well as a dog tag! I have zero doubt about the authenticity of the uniform and the tags, but I am not so sure about the ribbons...

I fired off a request to the NPRC for his records. I got the usual "Information Releasable Under FOIA" craptacular page of info, but interestingly enough under the medals section, it has all his stuff listed EXCEPT the PH and Green Weenie. Amazingly, they actually did send me a photo of the guy with the records as well, along with a basic sheet of his assignments.

So I was reading down the list of his assignments. From 8/31/69 to 1/28/70, he served in Co D, 1/52nd IR, 198th IB. From 1/28/70 to 5/10/1970, he served in Co B, 1/52nd IR, 198th IB. Then something apparently went bad for him, and he ended up shipped back home and apparently court martialed! I cannot read his last unit, but under it, dated 5/15/70, he is listed as having received a "Undesirable Discharge".

So basically, I have two questions for our Nam researchers out there:

1) How would I go about running down this guy's court martial info (if it is even available), and

2) Can a Undesirable Discharge result in the retraction of an award (or awards)? I was under the impression this is a no-no, and that once they're awarded they're pretty much there to stay. Right now, I am leaning towards the thinking that either the soldier or the guy I bought them from slapped on some unqualified ribbons. Am I right? Wrong? Maybe?

Partial answer - many awards can be rescinded.

General Koster, CG Americal Division lost his career, a star and his DSM due to the Calley Case.

If the soldier in question had been awarded the ARCOM for meritorious service and then was court martialed during his tour in RVN, he could well have lost the medal but - not the Purple Heart - get wounded - get a Purple Heart - unless that was obtained fraudulently - that should have "stuck" if it was in fact actually awarded in the first place. Self inflicted wound perhaps??? First blush PH - then - away she goes...

If the soldier in question had been awarded the ARCOM for meritorious service and then was court martialed during his tour in RVN, he could well have lost the medal but - not the Purple Heart - get wounded - get a Purple Heart - unless that was obtained fraudulently - that should have "stuck" if it was in fact actually awarded in the first place. Self inflicted wound perhaps??? First blush PH - then - away she goes...

I will have to take a look at the uniform later, but I think it was a Meritorious Weenie, but for some reason I keep thinking it had a V device. As far as wounding, I just don't know. There wasn't a wounding listed on his info I got from NPRC, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything as they often short us on the info. It's possible I suppose.