News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

English POW Camps

Hi Guys

I am researching a horde of German POW letters to the same man that have come into my possesion. Specifically I am looking for any information into hold over camps in the UK that were used to temporarilly hold POW's before onward journeys to camps in Canada. I have a wealth of information about the Canadian camps from a source in America but nothing on th UK including a web search.

The address that I have is

Dated 1940

Gefreiten Walter ERNST, 16133(his POW Nr)

5. Prisoners of War Camp

England

I think, 5. Prisoners of War Camp relates to a hold over in the UK, any ideas??

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Reading this thread reminded me that, some time ago, I saw a few photographs of German soldiers being held in Grimsby in "Weelsby Woods". There is a large "green" in front of these woods and a small cafe is now sited there. I am told by locals that this is the last remaining hut where the soldiers were held. This does not appear on the list on the linked websites. I would be interested to read more if you do come across Grimsby in your research. In the meantime I will look for the photos.