News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hero and labour Hero of the Mongolian People's republic

Vatjan

• Replies 260
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Badge 100% proper and of properly Mongolian manufacture, down to the screw-plate.

it appears different screw plates in use for type 2...

unfortunately battery of scale ran out to do some comparison measurements

Edited by Bob

may need to do a return to sender :banger:

Edit: to clarify, one on the right has been in my possession for 2 years or so and came from an extremely reliable source (although clearly being different than the type 2 Ed has posted above), one on left came into my hands yesterday.

Puzzling...

Edited by Bob

Unrelated but interesting

http://stmaximoshut.powerblogs.com/archive...006_09_09.shtml

"Namkhainyambuu "achieved remarkable reknown for his expertise in herding" under the Communists. (Namkhainyambuu's book, Bounty from the Sheep, sounds worth reading.) Could it just be possible that someone who "told [the author] that he worked very hard to be awarded the titles of 'Champion' or 'Hero of Labor' and to receive the 'Star of Sukhbaatar' and the 'Golden Soyombo' medals," whose wife received the "Best Herder" gold medal and "Champion Youth" silver medal under the communists and who "himself became possibly the most reknown herdsman, partly for fulfilling his pledges to raise 10,000 white sheep in twenty years and for his advice to herders in newspapers, and partly because of his appearances in films and at important public events." "

Personally, I'm not sure I like that award at all. The number is way too low and way too odd.

Bear in mind, there's 2 digits to the right of it which I've blocked.

Having revisited the thread in detail, we have an interesting situation on type 2 labor hero awards. Several type 2's... some numbered, some not.

The first one, posted by me, is numbered 420 and came from an extremely reliable source. The last one, also posted by me, is very similar although obviously with a different 3 digit number but the first digit (4) is nearly identical to the one on 420. Screws are identicle on both. On the second one, there's a slight dimple on reverse similar to what can be seen on the example in Bat's book.

Then there's other type 2's... unnumbered (or "abusively" numbered) - with differences in detail and different screw but apparently also from very reliable source.

So what does this mean? :speechless:

Edited by Bob

And I am INCLINED (but who knows for sure!) to believe that the unnumbered (or seller numbered) "type 2's" are in fact examples of the purported type 3. Low price could be explained also by the fact that this type 3 is supposedly not gold but rather bronze + gilt and thus considerably cheaper.

Above is merely a hypothesis of course.

And I am INCLINED (but who knows for sure!) to believe that the unnumbered (or seller numbered) "type 2's" are in fact examples of the purported type 3. Low price could be explained also by the fact that this type 3 is supposedly not gold but rather bronze + gilt and thus considerably cheaper.

Above is merely a hypothesis of course.

The type 1 ended around #400 and then the (current) type 2 commenced.

Apparently, type 2s have been "escaping" from government custody and into the market. I havea good one with a quite fraudulent #223. Medal is good, number is bad, price was low. I am also given to understand that fake type 2s are also being made in Mongolia and in both their northern and southern neighbors. From what I have seen, these fakes are thinner and more insubstantial than the real ones. When working only from images, one need to be very, very careful with these type 2 hero stars.

I'll raise some of these issues with Bat when I see him this summer.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.visualrian.com/images/item/38492

Not entirely sure if this should be here - will have to check other threads later - these pics (and dates) are great though!

Marshals Alexander Vasilevsky, Matvei Zakharov and Nikolai Krylov

Soviet military leaders (left to right): Marshals Alexander Vasilevsky, Matvei Zakharov and Nikolai Krylov being awarded the order of the Mongolian People's Republic at the Mongolian Embassy in the USSR.

Date of event: 01.09.1971

• 1 month later...

Went to the bank to drop some things off and also measured 2 Soyombos e.g.

373:

39.0 gr excl. screw

3.87 diameter of screw thread

420:

36.6 gr excl. screw

2.80 diameter of screw thread

I had forgotten to actually bring my 3rd Soyombo to the bank so will be measuring that one at home over the weekend. Just too many variations of Soyombo's to make one feel comfortable!

• 3 months later...
    • 3 months later...

Type 1 (two piece riveted construction)

Low = 13 High = 242

Type 2 (one piece construction)

Low = 420 High = ?

======================

I believe the above might need to be updated:

- B's book shows 115 as a type 2; 420 would rather then be put as highest sighted

- Recently 114 was on sale on eBay and this was a type 1

On a different note - rumor has it recently a mongolian hero star (NOT a labour one!) was sold by one of the major western dealers! Anybody on this forum the lucky person?

TYPE 1 - № 7

• 1 month later...

Here's the text / pics from the site:

"Hero of Labour, Golden Soyombo, #114. Ref. Batt. #A3.1. Soviet manufacture, 23k gold, early 2 piece construction. Has perfect enamel and shows only small signs

of wear. It was authorized for issue on July 2, 1971. A record number of 32 Soyombos were awarded that year, no doubt as part of the celebrations of the 50th

anniversary of the Revolution of 1921. 20 were authorized on July 2nd, and although research is not possible at this time, according to Khendemleh and

Tomorbaatar's Names of Persons of Outstanding Merit (2007) it may have been awarded to Mr. Damdingiin Sosor. $9500"

I will email the dealer to make him aware of this thread. For educational purposes and overall help to the collecting community, I think it's good to document these interesting cases.